Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus Wired Internet Dropping Connection

DavidL
Friendly Neighbour

Hi,

Thank you all for your help in advance.  

I have Fiber 300 with Optik TV.  

Firmware: 31.164L.18 (Not sure how to update this)

The ONT is in my closet and connected to the T3200 which is also inside the closet.

Cables go out from the closet to the rest of the house.

I was having problems doing Zoom calls periodically on Wifi.   I tried hard wiring my laptop to the T3200 and still having my connectivity drop (IP address changed from 192.168.1.x to 169.x.x.x). Things finally started to get better after I got a Google Nest Wifi AND port 1 bridged to my T3200.  My connectivity has been solid now both on wired and wireless.  

My problem:

I got a second set of Google Nest Wifi Router with a point to create a Mesh network for the whole house.  When I tried to plug the second Google Nest Router into the T3200.  Google's App is having problems adding my router into the existing Mesh network. So, now i basically use the second google router as a wifi access point / extender.

Should I do the following?

1.  Connect a switch behind Port 1 on the T3200 such that i connect both Google Nest Wifi to?

ONT -> T3200 (port 1 bridged) -> Switch -> Google Nest Wifi 1

-> Google Nest Wifi 2

2. Connect a switch after the ONT

ONT -> Switch -> Google Nest Wifi 1

-> Google Nest Wifi 2

-> T3200

3.  Other suggestions?  I can try plugging the Google Nest Wifi after the T3200 without doing the Port 1 bridging, but i was running into connectivity problems like this before enabling Port 1 bridging.

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I believe neither of your proposed options will work, as each Google Nest device will try to get its own IP address, and you can have a maximum of two assigned IP addresses. I would dig further as to why the second Nest won’t play nice with the first as a mesh network.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I believe neither of your proposed options will work, as each Google Nest device will try to get its own IP address, and you can have a maximum of two assigned IP addresses. I would dig further as to why the second Nest won’t play nice with the first as a mesh network.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

DavidL
Friendly Neighbour

Thank you!  Found out upon digging some more that I have to chain the Google Nest Devices by wiring them directly to the LAN ports.  

So...

ONT -> T3200 -> Port 1 Bridged / Or regular -> Google Nest 1 ---> Google Nest 2.  

This restricts me to have to put the Google Nest 1 close to the cabinet.