cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Internet

Shane
Leader

Greetings,

I just upgraded to the 1.5 Gbps internet speed, but I'm only getting 500 Mbps up and down from speedtest. The cable in the walls is category 5e. Could this be the problem?

Also, I have two ethernet cables from Telus. How do I tell which category they are? One has a yellow connector, the other is purple.

Thanks,
Shane.

3 REPLIES 3

TELUS_Support
Official Support Team
Official Support Team

Any plan over 1 Gbps is an aggregate. These higher plans are not just about speed, but also about having enough bandwidth when multiple devices are online simultaneously. For example, device 1 could have a speed of 300 Mbps, device 2 a speed of 500 Mbps, and device 3 a speed of 300 Mbps. Speed as always can vary depending on how the device is wired, internet traffic, user device capability, etc. In general, the max speed requires optimal network conditions on a wired connection.

That being said, if you've only got one device online and feel your speed should be higher, you could always try rebooting your equipment or speaking with our Tech Support team so they could investigate.

Need to private message us but don't know how? Check out this step-by-step guide.

Shane
Leader

I have two ethernet cables from Telus. How do I tell which category they are? One has a yellow connector, the other is purple.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Ethernet cables come in a rainbow of colors so color would not indicate speed. Look at the side of the cable itself. On the majority of cables, there should be printing along the length of it that would indicate the cable type. For example:

cat5e.png

If the purple ended cable came with the Telus Wifi 6 AP, that one should be Cat6 I think.

Which Telus gateway / router do you have? If the Telus gateway you have is the white cylinder, which has the fibre connected directly to it, then you'd get max 1gbps per device connected to it. If it's the NAH (flat white square with 10G ethernet port and coax on the back) then there is the potential for faster if you have the hardware to support that speed.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂