cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Internet Speeds ( Gigabit Plan )

E-Smithee
Neighbour

I recently made the switch to gigabit internet and was quite disappointed to see that there is no significant improvement over my previous plan (150). I understand that speeds may vary and that speeds are device dependant. I also understand that over a wireless connection, I won’t be able to achieve highest speeds but averaging ~25 Mpbs at best and even lower speeds on certain devices is a cause for concern in my opinion. Can someone give me advice on what to do. Since I don’t have optik tv, would it be possible for me to use a superior modem or would not be worth it? Are there any other options for me or am I stuck paying for a top dollar for slow speeds? 

8 REPLIES 8

loosemeat
Advocate

What speeds are you getting when you're plugged directly into the router via ethernet?

I’m in a new apartment that’s connected to Fiber. The modem is placed inside of a panel in the closet and there’s no way to plug in directly to the modem unless I either stand in my closet or run a cable through the middle of my apartment. I understand that a hardwired connection is much faster but for the price point, I expected to be able Pik Tv without connection dropping every ~20 minutes.

To help diagnose the issue, I recommend seeing if there is a strong signal if you're connected directly to the modem.

If you're getting the expected speed when you're plugged in, then that eliminates a whole bunch of steps from troubleshooting.

I would suggest plugging in and then running a speed test from speedtest.net and sharing your results here.

Just to jump on this point, test your wired strength as suggested. Plug a laptop in directly and do a Speedtest. Depending on your wall structure, that could be a barrier impeding your Wi-Fi. You may need a mesh router setup or a hardwired connection.

Are you using a T3200 (black modem) or Wifi Hub (bring round white one)? In my experience the T3200 has mediocre Wi-Fi broadcasting.

So I’m currently using the T3200. I tested my connection on a old laptop ( the only device I own that has an ethernet port and I’m able to test on ) and I was able to average speeds of about ~130Mpbs ( pleasantly surprised considering the age of the device ). Would a mesh network be suitable for a small apartment? (950 squared feet)

Now we're getting somewhere!

The ethernet speed should be faster, but may be limited by the speed of your device.

Since the speed is most effected on the wireless signal, there's a few things you can try before investing in new equipment. A mesh setup shouldn't be required for a small apartment.

Wifi uses set channels so that your access point doesn't interfere with other ones nearby. Your wireless connection may be using the same channel as a neighbour's access point and thus the performance maybe degraded due to interference. If you call Telus support they can scan the channels for your network and selecting the one that will have the least amount of interference. Just let them know the symptoms - eg very poor wireless speed compared to wired - and they will know what to do. When I was having issues with random disconnections this resolved the issue for me - the support agent also mentioned that she "boosted the power" to my T3200, whatever that means. I *think* you can do the first part by yourself in the router configuration page, but it's probably best left to the experts. Note that hold times have been fairly long at support, so you should plan some time to accomplish this task 🙂

If that still doesn't work, they may offer to send a replacement access point. Could be that there's an issue with the wireless components on the particular access point that you have.

I would try those two steps next before investing in mesh equipment or third party devices.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Also, remember Gigabit internet is a multi-stream service. It is meant to give satisfactory speeds to a number of individuals simultaneously, not the full speed to to a single client.

Does your telecom closet have a metal case or door? If so, that would cause Wi-Fi issues.

How many apartments surround yours? The more surrounding Wi-Fi, the more signal clashes, and the less speed.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

RonAKA
Rockstar

@E-Smithee ,

If you main issue is WiFi speed, it is probably worthwhile to look at what your neighbours are using for channels and potentially contributing to interference. This link is good at determining what the issue is. If you split your 2.4G and 5G SSID's your can see where most of the activity is and avoid the more popular channels. 2.4G has more range but very limited channels to choose from to avoid interference (1, 6, 11). 5G channels are more isolated but is more limited in range. I downloaded this simple exe, WiFiInfoView, that shows you what it going on when you install it on a laptop that has wifi. The default screen shows you all channels in range, and of interest. However, if you click on Options, Summary View, it can give you a simpler view of which channels are more heavily loaded. In general it is best to avoid channel 6 on 2.4G as it is the default. There are more choices on 5G. Just avoid ones used by your neighbours.