cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purefibre Home Phone daisy chaining - max number of phones?

Rubato
Helpful Neighbour

Hello. Can anyone say what the so-called ringer equivalency is for the Telus Purefibre Home Phone lines? That would be the number of hard wired phones that can be daisy chained before they can't get enough current through the single line to ring. I suppose it depends partly on the phone models used, but I believe telephone companies rate their lines for this. I'm hoping to install 6 RJ11 jacks in different locations in my house on a single line.

Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BillTelusCust
Rockstar

The industry standard has always been 5.   In Canada, most phones have a Ring Equivalency Number (REN) of 100 and the maximum on landlines is 500.  Although I can't speak for the purefibre set up, I can well imagine that if it is replacing legacy landlines, they would engineer it to be similar.  Cordless phones are the way to go with more devices since only the base station counts.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

polecat
All-Star

@Rubato If this any help i have  1 cordless with 4 handsets also  3 hard wired and everything works. There is a battery backup for the fiber phone line. Power outage a year ago the hard wired ones all worked. 

Rubato
Helpful Neighbour

Hi Polecat.

Thanks for responding so quickly. And thanks for letting me know what works on your line.

Just for clarity, it sounds like your wired phones worked during the power outage because your fibre ONT was on UPS power. If the ONT wasn't getting power, the wired phones would be as dead as the data line. Is that right?

Thanks again.

polecat
All-Star

@Rubato  Without the battery backup not sure but i don't think hard wired phones will work. I asked for the backup and they installed it at our age we need phone all the time. Power off of course cordless will not work.

A lot of the cordless phones will use the battery power from the handset in the base station to run it when there's a power outage - so make sure the handset is in the base unit and use a different one when this situation exists.  Of course, you can test it by unplugging the base unit with the handset in place...

I'm pretty sure Panasonic ones are like this but I am not in a position to test that for you right now, sorry.

BillTelusCust
Rockstar

The industry standard has always been 5.   In Canada, most phones have a Ring Equivalency Number (REN) of 100 and the maximum on landlines is 500.  Although I can't speak for the purefibre set up, I can well imagine that if it is replacing legacy landlines, they would engineer it to be similar.  Cordless phones are the way to go with more devices since only the base station counts.

Thanks for this information on the REN. On the single old wired TT phone I have, I couldn't find a REN stated anywhere (and I didn't attempt to look on the net for specs for that specific device).

We'll only use two of the 6 locations that I mentioned in a previous post, but, historically, people seem to want a phone in many rooms, including bedrooms. I'll be running CAT5e for the data and phone lines, so that if a future owner wants, they can re-purpose the phone lines for something else.

Thanks again, BillTelusCust, for this great information.

You're welcome.

An old phone is likely 100., I don't think any consumer phones had a value of over 100.

I understand about running the wiring, it is a good idea to run more rather than fewer jacks.

@Rubato @BillTelusCust   Good idea to run phone and  net  to every room the wire is cheap the finishing is more. Bill i tested my  panisonic cordless  (old ones) will not work unplugged. Polecat

Thanks for testing your cordless phone system.  I think it is relatively recent that they started to do this with batteries.  

Wired network and phone is still a good thing to have in a home...

Good informative discussion, Bill and Polecat. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience.