cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let’s tackle the new kid on the block - PureFibre X Internet 3G

DrPacman
Rockstar

This new offering of the Internet 3.0Gbp/s plan is currently rolling everywhere the previous PureFibre X Internet 2.5Gbp/s plan was offered.

In my opinion, and only in my option here, I believe TELUS has created unnecessary questions with this new naming convention.

A number of people are going to confuse PureFibre X Internet 3G with data plan names from competitors. They will ask why would I want to use TELUS when competitor “A” or “B” is offering 4G or perhaps 5G connectivity.

Fact of the matter here, we are discussing 2 different types of technology. One being wired fibre internet, and the other wireless connectivity for things like cell phones/tablets.

TELUS does indeed offer 5G wireless connectivity for phones/tablets, by the way. You are currently able to get an unlimited data plan and enjoy 5G+ speeds of up to 1Gbps on your compatible phones/tablets.

Again, and only in my opinion TELUS would have been better served by calling this product PureFibre X (Internet) 3,000.  Just like other well-known products like PureFibre (Internet) 250, or PureFibre (Internet) 500.

Let’s look at what we want from our PureFibre connections as that is what we are here for.

To fully realize the potential of this tier of service is not going to be for the faint of heart….

The first point that I would like to make is, it’s no longer going to be possible to remove TELUS supplied hardware from your network configuration. You have two options. First, have the ONT Router/Firewall feed the connection to your system as was originally anticipated. Or, place the device in bridged mode and allow your aftermarket Router/Firewall device to feed your system.

The device known as the “NAH” (Network Access Hub) more technically known as the Arcadyan NH20A, or the Technicolor FXA5000 virtually the same device for all examples here. As well a device known as the Nokia XS-250X-A however, that is for very specific installations, and out of the scope of this discussion.

Unlike the GPON hardware where the GPON transceiver serial number is utilized to authenticate to the TELUS backend servers.

Now the NAH serial number will be utilized not the serial number of the silver transceiver like what was used on the GPON infrastructure.

The newer technology known as PureFibre X Internet 3G is offered on the what’s known as the XGS-PON technology. So, what is the history behind XGS-PON technology?

10G-PON (also known as XG-PON or G.987) is a 2010 computer networking standard for data links, capable of delivering shared Internet access rates up to 10 Gbit/s. XGS-PON is a related technology that can deliver upstream and downstream (symmetrical) speeds of up to 10 Gbit/s (gigabits per second), first approved in 2016 as G.9807.1.

Again, the noted NAH devices will support the XGS-PON right up to and including 10Gbps internet offerings from TELUS (in the future). Slight modification of installed hardware to support faster speeds will be required to support these speeds.

DrPacman_0-1685210208342.jpeg

DrPacman_1-1685210208357.jpeg

So, what am I going to have to acquire to achieve the best speeds out of the new internet level?

You’ll require a 5.0Gbp/s network infrastructure minimum. Now that is going to be a bit of a trick to accomplish. Most of the new consumer-based equipment is rated at 2.5Gbp/s not 3.0Gbp/s, and definitely not 5.0Gbp/s.

There are a few 5.0Gbp/s USB 3.1 NIC dongles out there, as well I have found a couple of 10Gbp/s thunderbolt 3.0 Nic’s that are capable of passing a 10Gbp/s connection to such things and laptops. These devices will enable the full speed; however, you may still need to find compatible 5.0Gbp/s or faster switches.

So, enter the 10Gbp/s networking world.

If you plan on continuing to utilize the TELUS NAH ONT Router/Firewall you are able to plug your devices into the 10Gbp/s port (Purple RJ45 port on right side) on that device. I’m sure people will connect to a dedicated 10Gbp/s switch for the ability to connect multiple devices within your own network environment. As long as you connect devices with a minimum connection speed of 5Gbp/s you should be fine to go.

Again, if you plan on utilizing your own aftermarket firewall/router, you can put the NAH into bridged mode and pass a TELUS WAN IP address directly to your aftermarket Router/Firewall.

DrPacman_2-1685210208358.png

Moral of the story? To achieve the full connections speed of the TELUS 3.0Gbp/s internet connection your entire network must be capable of a minimum speed of 3.0Gbp/s connection throughout.

1 REPLY 1

Vanzunator
Just Moved In

Hi @DrPacman , Thanks for your great article. I’m planning to switch to PureFibre X Internet 3G from my existing TELUS 1Gpbs internet service. I currently have my home landline with TELUS as their 1Gbps internet equipment supports phone landlines (POTS). Does PureFibre X Internet 3G equipment support landlines, or do I need to switch/port my landline to a VoIP service first?

p.s. my home networking eqipment and wiring is 10GB-ready.

Best regards,

Vanzunator