cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PureFiber ONT Size

BakerCrew
Just Moved In

Folks.

I'm looking for the physical size of what I believe is the ONT.  It would be the unit the take the fiber signal and converts to CAT5 or COAX.  I do not want to drill holes through the exterior of my home so have purchased a waterproof Altemix NEMA waterproof enclosure to mount on the outside of my home:

https://www.altelix.com/14x11x5-Weatherproof-PC-ABS-Enclosure-120VAC-p/np141105a1c.htm

My intent is to mount the unit on the outside of my house directly above my GFI plug which is right next to my Telus and Cable termination points.  The fiber will come into the box, connect to the ONT, and a COAX comes out of the box and connects to the cable currently feeding my crappy Shaw cable modem.

I just want to confirm I have sufficient room in my Altelix box.  I did measure it before I bought it, but I realize the power outlet is consuming more space than I expected.

I appreciate any insight.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The ONT does not have a coax connection on it. Cat6 ethernet only. The ONT will also have temperature restrictions as well. Like most other electronics designed for indoor use, it does not support sub zero temperatures. If in your case a battery backup is required for the ONT, they both will not fit into that enclosure. The battery also will have a temperature range that it will operate in and batteries do not like the cold. This is also assuming that the hardware can even be mounted inside the box you purchased because there won't be a way to attach it to the included mounting plate that came with the box.

There will have to be a way for the fibre / ethernet to get in to the house, just like the cable and phone lines were run in. That mounting box you linked to  would also have to be attached to the house so that'll require four holes to be drilled also. The fibre is very thin so it will only require a single very small hole in comparison.

This is all assuming they'll use an ONT in the first place. Some installs just have the Telus T3200M with the fibre run directly to it instead and that would definitely be an indoor install.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The ONT does not have a coax connection on it. Cat6 ethernet only. The ONT will also have temperature restrictions as well. Like most other electronics designed for indoor use, it does not support sub zero temperatures. If in your case a battery backup is required for the ONT, they both will not fit into that enclosure. The battery also will have a temperature range that it will operate in and batteries do not like the cold. This is also assuming that the hardware can even be mounted inside the box you purchased because there won't be a way to attach it to the included mounting plate that came with the box.

There will have to be a way for the fibre / ethernet to get in to the house, just like the cable and phone lines were run in. That mounting box you linked to  would also have to be attached to the house so that'll require four holes to be drilled also. The fibre is very thin so it will only require a single very small hole in comparison.

This is all assuming they'll use an ONT in the first place. Some installs just have the Telus T3200M with the fibre run directly to it instead and that would definitely be an indoor install.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You could always remove the coax feeding your ‘crappy Shaw cable modem’, and run the fibre optic through the existing opening. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"