cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help - home internet usage error

Chisairi
Just Moved In

I am away on a work trip for three months. No one is at home. I'm not renting it out at all.  Recently, I checked the Telus app, and my home internet shows usage of 1800 GB. This makes no sense to me. I even got my parents to unplug all my Telus machines, and the data usage increased by 100GB/ day. Called Telus but no help. This is not normal. last month's bill was 2000 GB used when I wasn't at home either. 

IMG_8851.jpgIMG_8888.jpg

4 REPLIES 4

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Typically the Telus hardware (ie Optik) won't count towards data usage and it won't use that amount of data per day. If no one is using the internet at your house, and your computers are all shut off, have your parents unplug the wifi router. Is there a chance anyone else is connected to your wifi? Do you have IP cameras that may be remotely monitored? If any computers are turned on still, do you know if there is any malware on any of the home computers, or possibly torrents running?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I had my parent unplugged the router. There is no power. No computer or TV or camera at home so I am not sure why the usage still goes up even after I got them to unplug the router power.

What else could be causing data usage? I am a heavy user as I work from home and usually I use like 300 GB a month at most. But lately it’s like 2000/3000 GB when I am not at home. Make no sense to me.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If everything is unplugged, it may not hurt to reach out to tech support when you return home. There shouldn't be any data use showing up with the router / gateway unplugged. 2-3TB of data monthly is a huge amount. There is a small possibility it's a glitch on Telus's end.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

xray
Hero

Does July and Aug show similar usage? I find it oddly coincidental that you only see this problem when you are away if there was a technical issue on the Telus end.