cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ogden phone service / 911 still down Day 7

phony-baloney
Friendly Neighbour

I was promised by support a call at 10:00am today. No call

Your response yesterday was encouraging.
That was the first email I have received from telus in 6 days.
I did subscribe to email and text notifications.
Three different times in fact.Not one reply at all.
After numerous calls I was promised follow up calls.Zero calls.
As for site disruption ,if you drill down on the status page my residence isn't even on the map.

phonybaloney_0-1702594003493.png

I checked your staus page this morning.
I see that the less expensive services  (phone / 911 )have been saved for last.
I guess that's why telus repaired  services which generate the most $ have been repaired first. ( tv and interenet)
So much for contacting emergency services.
Here I would have thought 911 would be the top priority.Alas not to be.

Still waiting for that friendly future.

Phony-Baloney

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I’m sorry to hear about your family member and hope they’ll be okay and that you’ll be able to speak with them by alternative means.

I was able to do an online Chat today with Telus regarding adjustments/credits on my bill for the days of outage. The Rep was considerate and included all dates through December 22, the estimated date of restoration of services.

The other issue this Phone Outage is causing for me is the ability to log in to my bank account as the 2-Factor-Autorization is set up to send a call to my phone, so I’m unable to log in.

I now have to go to my bank in person until this outage is repaired as my bank will not disable the 2-F-A.

The biggest tragedy, of course, will be if someone needs to call 911 and can't.

The vandals who cut/stole the cables couldn’t care less about the far-reaching effects it has on other people’s lives. Hope they’re caught and justice happens.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

OgdenNeighbor
Friendly Neighbour

I hear you, phony-baloney, and concur 100% with comments in your 1rst, 2nd, and 3rd post.

Like you, I’m not even in the ‘Outage’ area when I zoom in on the Service Status map.

I subscribed December 8th to the ‘Outage’ to receive email updates and haven’t received a single one.  TELUS, subscribing to an ‘Outage’ does NOT work!

I’ve had 3 live Chats with Telus Reps, one told me they created a ticket for the back-office people to provide me with an update, that was on Sunday, December 10 – haven’t heard a thing – today is Thursday, December 14.

There hasn’t been a new online update on the Service Status page since Sunday, December 10, which is update #5.

Now, here we are, Day 7 of the Outage, December 14, with no landline service or ability to call 911. Yes, there are still people out there who don’t have cell phones!

How about TELUS providing us with more information as to WHY it’s taking so long to repair?

How about TELUS providing us with an estimated date of restoration – which could go a long way in easing some anxiety.

I thought TELUS is a company that cares about the people and communities they serve, yet they do not even inform members of our community, many of whom are seniors, as to what is happening with this Outage, and why it’s taking SO LONG to repair.

My confidence in this Telecommunications Provider is declining by the day, mainly due to its lack of communications!

Only article I found on the outage: https://calgary.citynews.ca/2023/12/13/calgary-ogden-telus-outage-vandalism/

In a statement to CityNews, Telus says it had equipment in the area compromised “in an act of vandalism.”

“Vandals cut and stole a significant amount of cables… Causing extensive damage and disrupting home phone services to some customers in the community,” the telecommunications company said.

Telus acknowledged the inconvenience to Ogden residents and says it is working with police to investigate the incident.

It adds that crews are working around the clock, but there’s no estimated time for restoration.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thanks for the info Nighthawk.
Your link gave more info than a week of talking to telus support.
Maybe they should hire you and fire the rest of their support staff.

Phony Baloney

On 2023-12-15 12:02 a.m., TELUS Neighbourhood wrote:

Hi phony-baloney,

Nighthawk (Community Power User) posted a new reply in Internet & Home Phone on 12-15-2023 02:02 AM:

Re: Ogden phone service / 911 still down Day 7

Only article I found on the outage: https://calgary.citynews.ca/2023/12/13/calgary-ogden-telus-outage-vandalism/

In a statement to CityNews, Telus says it had equipment in the area compromised “in an act of vandalism.”

“Vandals cut and stole a significant amount of cables… Causing extensive damage and disrupting home phone services to some customers in the community,” the telecommunications company said.

Telus acknowledged the inconvenience to Ogden residents and says it is working with police to investigate the incident.

It adds that crews are working around the clock, but there’s no estimated time for restoration.

Reply | Accept as Solution | Give Kudos

[Personal info removed by Mod]

Thanks, Nighthawk, for searching/posting this news story. It answers the 'why' it's taking SO long to repair this outage.

Now, today, DAY 8 of the Ogden Outage, Telus has finally posted Update #6, with an Estimated Date of Restoration: December 22, late evening.

I'm left smh with the entire situation, especially the lack of communication from Telus. Perhaps knowing how extensive the damage was and that Phone/911 services were going to be down for an extended period, Telus could've sent emails/letters to the affected addresses/accounts?  For those who have no cell phones, this issue affects us greatly.

"Perhaps knowing how extensive the damage was and that Phone/911 services were going to be down for an extended period, Telus could've sent emails/letters to the affected addresses/accounts?"

Holy smokes what a fantastic idea.

I agree 100% ,but that would require forward thinking from customer support.

After all I'm sure only the billing dept would employ such tactics to collect their pound of flesh.

PS.

Just found out a family member went to the hospital in Ontario a couple of hours ago.

I sure wish I could phone them.

Like I said before   "Call Waiting" has a whole new meaning now.

Phony Baloney

I’m sorry to hear about your family member and hope they’ll be okay and that you’ll be able to speak with them by alternative means.

I was able to do an online Chat today with Telus regarding adjustments/credits on my bill for the days of outage. The Rep was considerate and included all dates through December 22, the estimated date of restoration of services.

The other issue this Phone Outage is causing for me is the ability to log in to my bank account as the 2-Factor-Autorization is set up to send a call to my phone, so I’m unable to log in.

I now have to go to my bank in person until this outage is repaired as my bank will not disable the 2-F-A.

The vandals who cut/stole the cables couldn’t care less about the far-reaching effects it has on other people’s lives. Hope they’re caught and justice happens.

Thank you for your well wishes.

I too am in the same boat as you in regards to my inability to access online banking.

Luckily I can drive, some seniors cannot thus limiting access to pay bills etc.

As for the most important aspect of all this ( 911 ) it seems to be the least concerning issue to telus.

After all I believe we only pay $0.25 a month for this service.

Compare that to the $100's for internet and tv.

All about the money.

Funny how we get no real response from any telus reps on all of these issues/comments.

Just a grey blob on the status website telling me it's only another week to go.

The future in fact appears to be greedy ,not friendly at all.

PS.

Hang in there Ogdenites at least Santa only needs an address not a phone number.

Phony Baloney

On 2023-12-15 8:15 p.m., TELUS Neighbourhood wrote:

Hi phony-baloney,

OgdenNeighbor (Neighbour) posted a new reply in Internet & Home Phone on 12-15-2023 10:15 PM:

Re: Ogden phone service / 911 still down Day 7

Reply | Accept as Solution | Give Kudos

News article posted today, December 18, regarding the copper crime theft ring in Calgary and throughout Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/telus-copper-wire-thefts-increase-1.7061586

Have you noticed how many places are popping up on the Service Status page in BC and especially AB just since our outage began....it's crazy. As the Cause, some directly state 'cable theft' while others may be something else or still under investigation.

OgdenNeighbor
Friendly Neighbour

For those who haven't checked the Telus Service Status website for updates on the Ogden Outage, Telus has posted Update #6 today, December 15: Estimated date of restoration of Phone/911 sevices is December 22, late evening.