cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix email scam.

MissAliceAnn
Neighbour

Hey, wondering if someone can help. I recently had an email from Netflix telling me to update my payment info. I asked my boyfriend to do it as he pays for a family account that I have my own log in for, its not actually my bank card on the account. He said no because he read in the news that its a scam email. Sure enough, I found this:  https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/netflix-users-update-payment/ and we just kind of forgot about it
I clicked on the email again today by accident then nearly immediately afterwards got a text from a number saying to update my netflix payment info. I found a number site that people commented on saying they got scam texts about netflix too from the same number: https://scam-numbers.co.uk/Number/07591986942/ Now I am really freaked out because it almost seemed like they knew to send it to me at that moment because I clicked the email. Is that even possible? My phone number is not linked with my netflix so worried how they even got my number and how they are linking it to my email? AM I just being paranoid or should I be concerned here? I have my mobile number as security verification for a lot of sites. 
Thanks
Alice x

5 REPLIES 5

polecat
All-Star

@MissAliceAnn  DO NOT OPEN---- Forward the email to  ( [email protected] ) they will see how many people get and maybe shut it down. Polecat

polecat
All-Star

@MissAliceAnn  Back again you better go to your netflick account and update security --- passwords etc.

Thanks for your replies, I did change my password and reported it to action fraud! Thank you 

xray
Hero

@MissAliceAnn wrote:

I clicked on the email again today by accident then nearly immediately afterwards got a text from a number saying to update my netflix payment info.

If you need to keep any suspect emails for reporting purposes you should move it to a folder so that it's quarantined, either an existing Spam folder or create an appropriately named one.

@MissAliceAnn wrote:

My phone number is not linked with my netflix so worried how they even got my number and how they are linking it to my email?

The fact that the phishing email is posing as Netflix has nothing to do with whether you have your phone number on the Netflix account. The scammers don't actually have access to the account (yet). They are just guessing you have a Netflix account. They most likely got your email and phone number either from hacking another site or bought it on the dark web from someone else who hacked another site. Or they put the pieces together from your social media posts.

Thanks xray, good suggestions, has put my mind at ease to some degree, as the other woman suggested I am going through and changing passwords. If your right and another of my accounts is hacked hopefully that will help