Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem to Router Connection

Jamess
Friendly Neighbour

Hey everyone,

I currently have this setup:

Ethernet cable from Modem, in LAN 1, connected to my wireless Router WAN. 

However, I noticed that the modem also have WAN slot as well, so should I have it connected to that instead?

Example: Modem WAN, connected via Ethernet cable, to Router WAN.

Or should I keep it connected to Modem LAN 1 and Router WAN?

Also, I'm unable to connect to 192.168.1.254

Please let me know!
Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Modem LAN 1 and Router WAN is correct. Make sure your router is not sharing the same 192.168.1.x subnet. I had mine set to 192.168.10.x and I could still access 192.168.1.254 fine after that.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Modem LAN 1 and Router WAN is correct. Make sure your router is not sharing the same 192.168.1.x subnet. I had mine set to 192.168.10.x and I could still access 192.168.1.254 fine after that.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Jamess
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks! That was helpful

If I changed my Router IP address to 192.168.0.xx but I still can't access 192.168.1.254

Go to your Router page and look for the Internet (WAN) IP address it was assigned. Is it 192.168.1.xx or is it some other subnet?

Jamess
Friendly Neighbour

I've been trying to find that but I don't see it. I'm using TP Link, and under "Network" it only shows Internet, LAN, IPTV, DHCP Server, DDNS and Advanced Routing - No WAN anywhere 

It should under Internet IP address.

Jamess
Friendly Neighbour

It's different from my router 192.168.0.XX, it actually starts with 162.156.16x.xx

I tried going there and it says "

Rejected request from RFC1918 IP to public server address

What kind of modem do you have? I think Nighhawk assumed you were connecting to a T3200M, as did I, but it sounds like you are connected to a ONT. Are you on fiber?

If so then there is nothing on 192.168.1.254 to connect to.

Jamess
Friendly Neighbour

I do have T3200M, on Fibre.

So does that mean I cannot connect to it?

I thought I can because it provided me the IP address on the Modem, along with the login info. 
However, I know that my Router and Modem is in Bridge mod as well; would that make any difference?

Also, any settings I should have off while I have Bridge mod on?

Thanks for all your help btw

If the T3200M is in bridge mode and your other router is connected to LAN1 you won't be able to see anything on the T3200M side of the network.

Bridge mode means your TP Link is connected in effect directly to the Internet.

@Jamess wrote:

I do have T3200M, on Fibre.

So does that mean I cannot connect to it?

I thought I can because it provided me the IP address on the Modem, along with the login info. 
However, I know that my Router and Modem is in Bridge mod as well; would that make any difference?

Also, any settings I should have off while I have Bridge mod on?

Thanks for all your help btw

You can connect to the T3200M using LAN 2-4 or with WiFi if the wireless is still running. If you are using your own router exclusively then turn off the wireless on the T3200M if it's not off already.

Do you have Optik service?

Jamess
Friendly Neighbour

Yeah, I do have Optik service.

I'm using my router for the wifi as well, and it looks like the Wifi on the modem has been turned off already, since the light is not on. 

Are your Optik boxes connected to the T3200M?

Jamess
Friendly Neighbour

I have an extender, I believe that gives the signal to my Optik TV box