cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet cutting out or slowing to unusable speeds

Telususer20
Neighbour

On my home PC, my phone, or any family member in the house’s phone the internet will cease working entirely, most often later in the evening beyond 7pm. With my PC I’m able to monitor the network using the NZXT CAM application and I can see it up to 5-8mbps download for a half second spike, then back to zero or less than 10 kbps while this happens, or it’ll just stay at sub 10 kbps, completely unusable either way, and after unplugging and plugging in the router sometimes the issues resolves for the day, sometimes for about 5 minutes, and at times not at all. Through the day the internet is fine and works for all devices, some areas of the house have worse connection to the wifi as is expected, but the computer is in a set location 1 room away from the router and works fine until this happens, making me assume it’s not a wifi signal issue. Is Telus throttling me or what?

5 REPLIES 5

TELUS_Support
Official Support Team
Official Support Team

We don't throttle anyone, but this is of course something you shouldn't be experiencing. As you've already tried rebooting everything to no avail, your next best bet would be to get in touch with our Tech Support team so they can connect through the network and investigate further.

Alternatively, you can send us a private message and we can discuss options as well, thanks!

Need to private message us but don't know how? Check out this step-by-step guide.

CraftyMama6
Neighbour

having the same problem for days. Thinking of changing providers.

Have you tried rebooting your equipment?

Need to private message us but don't know how? Check out this step-by-step guide.

CraftyMama6
Neighbour

I have. I have done all the troubleshooting.

xray
Hero

Are your devices using 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz WiFi connections?

If you are using 2.4 GHz and the issues tend to be in the evening then it might be a case of channel congestion. When your neighbors get home and use their devices and you are sharing the same WiFi channels then there can be a lot of noise/errors requiring the WiFi to resend a lot of packets which will effectively give you a lousy transfer speed.

Contact TELUS customer support and ask them to help you change the 2.4 GHz channel.

Here's a graph of the 2.4 GHz channel usage at my house. I use channel 1 because there are fewer of my neighbors on it.

xray_0-1721529812055.png