cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Telus allow that we:

Redacted
Neighbour

After 30 ,years with Shaw, it's time to get things right. I have 10 email addresses @Shaw and of course they are used every where a email account is needed. So changing those is a big issue but under the circumstances, I'm willing to endure.

PRELUDE:
My Rights to Privacy are my major concern. I haven't tested what Telus does except to say, I don't like 2 of their stalkers.

I said I'll cancel because it's the third time I was upgraded (cost increased too) and I get less and pay more. Shaw suggested that if I cancel it will cost me "$266.00" (penalty/fine) for not wanting to pay for what I don't get.

Enough prelim,

Before I take the plunge with Telus, knowing that Google handles Telus email does Telua allow us to:

1. set our own SSID
  2. set our own DNS
  3. set our own Wi-Fi- passwords
  4. Can Telus modem broadcast 300 feet through 4 wood/gyprock walls?

From where I am, if I go to any web site, my carrier is sent from modem to Toronto, to Vancouver Island (Nanaimo I think), to Victoria on the island, back to Toronto - to Wichita to Dallas then to anywhere (almost) in North America, else off to Europe from Toronto.
Would a Telus customer help and tracert and copy from line 4 to last line and paste back here. Do not post the first 3 lines. Plus any of the 4 questions.

I very much appreciate it, 

~v

4 REPLIES 4

I_Died_Tryin
Neighbour

I don't think any Telus or shaw router can reach that far on their own without WiFi extenders.

Telus does offer extenders with their Internet packages.

Personally I would never use Shaw (Rogers) or Telus linked email addresses.

If you ever have to change services, you will still have full uninterrupted email service using something like outlook, Google, Proton, etc.

I have changed my DNS and SSID numerous times over the past 20 years with Telus.

Today I'm awaiting delivery of a new 2.5gbps router that supports vlans and nearly unlimited port forwards.

Telus routers do not support many fancy settings. Their modem/routers only support 32 port forwards.

@I_Died_Tryin said:

@I_Died_Tryin wrote:

I don't think any Telus or shaw router can reach that far on their own without WiFi extenders.

Telus does offer extenders with their Internet packages.

Before mesh, I could pick up a l-top from 1 metre away from meshy modem, walk outside to my pick-nick table 40 meters away and still have great connections.

Then they upgraded and just to go one floor up or through 1 wall I need 'pods'. Of course I do. $8.00  plus taxes each!.

BC Tel was my provider when the Internet was first accessible from here. I know Telus's history. Remember @home? Datapac? 🙂

@I_Died_Tryin wrote:

uninterrupted email service using something like outlook, Google, Proton, etc.

Before retiring, privacy was my métier. I wouldn't use Gmail, Outlook or any web based public webmail. The HTML hidden layer is a sponge IMO - tomato, tomato. Too, [email protected] business is just not copasetic yet until the kiddie koders of today are old enough to be a CEO 😁

Thanks

~r

xray
Hero

If you have a lot of accounts that use your email address to log in then it's advisable to use any of the free email services not tied to an Internet provider. As @I_Died_Tryin pointed out, it frees you from the hassle of updating accounts if you switch providers and also allows you to chose providers strictly on the basis of the service they provide.

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) Yes

4) No, not a provider limitation, it's an inherent limitation of the current WiFi technology

@xray wrote:

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) Yes

4) No, not a provider limitation, it's an inherent limitation of the current WiFi technology

Darn! As for your take on providers. Nothing is free on the Internet. Proton for example was free until they introduced the better, safer, mini to maxi accounts, Yes. the crippleware (what we use to call it back before the marketeers called it Basic, Standard, Pro, and Enterprise versions. 
I have 34 email servers I can use. 

@I_Died_Tryin and @xray 

Re when it comes to email hosts:

1. Know they enemy.
  2. Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.
  3. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
  4. If they say it's Free, ask how much it costs.

Than you both. I really do apprecite your chimning in,

~r