Incoming Landline Phone Calls That Just Show "Incoming Call" on Call Display and Aren't Missed Calls

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

I occasionally receive an incoming call on my Panasonic landline that shows nothing in call display but "Incoming Call". I don't ever answer and the call eventually disappears without ever being subsequently registered by my phone as a missed call. Just before the call drops the phone quickly flashes a  "line in use" message. Normally the phone shows "Incoming Call" for a second and then having learned the number involved, flashes that number or say a province name.

Anybody have an idea what these peculiar calls are doing - beyond that they are spam? 

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour
Should mention I have a free Telus fax number associated with my phone as well...
Highlighted
Ambassador

I think it is a quirk of Panasonic cordless phones.  I have seen that happen over the years and there is some Caller ID information on my corded Nortel Vista phone but not on the panasonic.  I can't be certain but that is the best explanation I have.

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour
Thanks for the reply but this is not a cordless phone I am seeing the problem on. Note... none of the many Amazon reviews of this (KX-TGF350 series) phone mention such an issue happening. It was actually the winner of Google reviews of best-landline-of-the-year when I bought it.

It appears to be that the suspicious incoming calls never get sensed as having an originating number source, which is supposed to happen after one ring. Guess I will just have to pick up the receiver and listen the next time to confirm whether it is some sort of spam or not.
Highlighted
Ambassador

By "free fax number" do you mean you have a second, smart ring, number associated with your landline?

Do you have a fax machine sharing the landline?

If you call the fax number, does the Panasonic phone behave as you describe?

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour
First question: Yes.

2nd Question: a Brother (MFC-L2750DW) printer with fax capability connected to the phone.

3rd question: no. The phone correctly registers the call as coming from a private caller (I used Google hangouts on my PC) and I see/hear the call answered and the resulting fax tone before hanging up.
Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour
Footnote... I'll have to see what the printer LED console is saying when the next such call comes in...
Highlighted
Rockstar

Can you try the star code to find out the last number that called you and see what it says?

https://www.telus.com/en/on/support/article/use-star-commands#call_trace

Make sure not to use the call trace one unless you want it reported to the police.

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour
Thanks for the suggestion! I can certainly try that the next time I spot it happening.