Email transfer from Telus to google mail

Highlighted
Ambassador

@Tinasco 

About all I can do is tell you what I have done. I had a POP3 account in Thunderbird linked to my Telus webmail. I never really used the Telus Webmail. Thunderbird with a POP3 link downloads all email from the Telus server each time you open up Thunderbird. When my migration date was set, I opened Thunderbird the night before to ensure I had all the mail downloaded from Telus. The next day after I was migrated I set up a new account in Thunderbird following the instructions from Telus at this link:

Setup email on PC with Monzilla Thunderbird

Now I have a old, dead, set of folders in Thunderbird from the time before migration, and a new account with folders that I am slowly adding which is linked using IMAP to the new Google account. There is a point in this that lets you set up the account to an existing gmail address, or to a new one with Telus G Suite. I chose the new G Suite account which retains my existing Telus email address. 

For me, it basically worked for email. Contacts and Calendar have been a bit more problematic, but I have it pretty much sorted out. 

Highlighted
Neighbour

Do you think I will have to wait until I have migrated before I can reset my account in Thunderbird?

Highlighted
Ambassador

For sure I would try to fix your WebMail account in Thunderbird before you migrate. It may be just a matter of resetting your password. 

Highlighted
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @RonAKA & @canucks4life 

Aliases are still working on TELUS email powered by Google. The main difference is that webmail.telus.net allows you to login using any address, whereas mail.google.com only allows for one address to be used for logging in. You will be able to send and receive via the aliases (Send an email from an alias).

Highlighted
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

@Tinasco have you tried logging into webmail.telus.net? If you are redirected to Google, you have been migrated. If you are able to access webmail.telus.net, (and possibly see the invitation form to pick a date) you are still on the old platform.

If you are on Google, use this article: Set up TELUS email on your computer using Mozilla Thunderbird

If you are on webmail still, use this article: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/manual-account-configuration and these settings:

Incoming (IMAP): imap.telus.net  port: 993

Outgoing (SMTP): smtp.telus.net  port:465

Highlighted
Neighbour

Thank you SmoresGuy, this was very helpful. Looks like I'm not on gmail yet.

Highlighted
Resident

Did telus send a reminder that my telus email account will be transitioning to be powered by Google and that I have to set up a transition date. Is this a scam?

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

This is Day 8 since my email was migrated. I am unable to access it since. I have spent countless hours on the phone, mostly on hold and have not gotten a resolution to the issue from any agent, no matter what is tried. I am supposed to get a call back from a technician who will do some sort of "challenge" during a 10 minute window...I'm still waiting and beyond frustrated.

Highlighted
Neighbour

Just did the migration this morning. I use Outlook 365 so used the G Suite Sync app (GSSMO). What a mistake!!

It took 2 + hours to do some sort of synchronization - then when I opened Outlook IT DID IT AGAIN!!!!! Fully synced, I close Outlook and it spends almost 10 minutes syncing all over again. There's no new emails, no new contacts, no new calendar items. What is it syncing? Who in their right mind would use such a piece of crap? Gmail online interface is simply awful and besides, I want a desktop email solution - not something I have to use in a f@#$ing browser.

Worse, I use Outlook to manage several emails (thankfully unrelated to Telus.net) and those accounts WERE DELETED!!!

WTF?

This is the most inconvenient migration I've every done. Very unhappy with Gmail and Telus. I'm going back to IMAP and looking for another email provider - despite the HUGE inconvenience of having to change an email address I have used for almost 20 years.

Highlighted
Neighbour

I wasn't specific - if you want to continue using Outlook, go to the instructions here: https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/telus-email-as-alternative-application

I would not recommend POP.

IMAP is not the ideal solution but at least it works without the constant unnecessary syncing

Highlighted
Ambassador

@NancyM I would suggest that your basic problem is Outlook, and would suggest you consider switching to Thunderbird. I switched from Outlook to Thunderbird years ago as I was having constant issues with Outlook, and Microsoft constantly changing the program.

I find Thunderbird and Gmail work fine together using IMAP. Synchronization is essentially instant. You have access to your mail with a phone or other mobile device, while keeping your email mirrored on your hard drive with Thunderbird. You can make changes on a mobile device or home PC and it is updated on both. If you don't want Gmail to access all email you can drag it to a local folder and it will only be kept on the hard drive. Thunderbird can handle multiple accounts. 

Highlighted
Neighbour

Thanks for the suggestion. I used Thunderbird for a few years but since I have to support others who use Outlook, it's easier for me to know the ins and outs of it. I do agree that the "improvements" Microsoft keeps making have completely ruined the application.

But just to be clear, now that I've deleted every last piece of the G Suite Synchronization nightmare, and set my mailbox up using IMAP, Outlook is working just fine.

Highlighted
Advisor

It's surprising that Outlook is still around. It's the relic of e-mail.

Highlighted
Neighbour

My experience with Telus customer support is also terrible, it's sucked up huge amounts of time without resolving the problem. I think we need to fight back and am trying to think about how this might happen.

Highlighted
Advisor

Is all TELUS support now offshore? It is exasperating dealing with people who obviously do not have access to/are not familiar with TELUS services. It is like trying to get help from someone who has access to a recipe book but has never cooked or baked in their entire lives.

Highlighted
Advisor

Three follow-up e-mails to my TELUS agent and not a peep. I was given a ticket number but there was never any follow-through on their part. I had folders that did not transfer to Gmail. I could transfer those folders in less than a minute if they could just reactivate mt TELUS e-mail for five minutes. I'm sure that they could do the same. I'm guessing that this migration and related IT is offshore as well.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour
Actually the person that ended up assisting me the most & helped to solve the problem was located in Guatemala; if it weren't for him I'd likely be caught in the quagmire for much much longer
Highlighted
Resident

DMT: you said your email wasn't accessible after migration and now it's back?

I'm wondering, how long did it take to fix?
(I'm on day 3...)

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour
Yes I have my email. After 8 days of many many hours on hold, speaking to 4 different people & going through several attempts with them to fix it!! An extremely frustrating experience. ONE person FINALLY was able to help me, did not "pass me off", followed through on what he said he would do and got the problem solved.
Highlighted
Resident

Good to hear you got it back, I'm glad that worked for you! It also gives me some hope...