cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email problem

allec
Organizer
I use a third party email service because it offers much better spam detection, and I am having a problem with this new Gmail platform. Gmail changes the From: address from the address I supply to the "telus.net" address. Most email servers use the Return Address, but when a Gmail user replies to one of my emails, it uses the From: address. The reply email gets sent directly to my Telus address instead of the third party address. Because of the way Gmail handles POP3, I had to configure the third party service to forward email to 2 separate accounts, so emails replied to through Gmail never get sent to the second account. I have Gmail configured to use the Return address I supply, but that does not help with Gmail users. Does anyone have a way around this problem? J.A. Coutts
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Found this mentioned relating to gmail:

If the "From" address is either the same as the "To" address, or is configured in GMail Settings as one of the 'Send As...' accounts, Gmail replies to the "To" address instead of the "Reply-To" address. An easy workaround is to specify a non-Gmail "From" address

You should be able to set up an additional From address:

Send emails from a different address or alias - Gmail Help (google.com)

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

This may help:

Receive Email Replies at a Different Address Than You Send From (lifewire.com)

That is already set up. The problem is that only Gmail itself doesn't use the Return or Reply-to address. It uses the From: address instead.

J.A. Coutts

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Found this mentioned relating to gmail:

If the "From" address is either the same as the "To" address, or is configured in GMail Settings as one of the 'Send As...' accounts, Gmail replies to the "To" address instead of the "Reply-To" address. An easy workaround is to specify a non-Gmail "From" address

You should be able to set up an additional From address:

Send emails from a different address or alias - Gmail Help (google.com)

Thank you for the suggestion FuzzyLogic, but when I attempt that i get "Functionality not enabled".

J.A. Coutts

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Why not use the SMTP server of the 3rd party email supplier?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

That would be the logical solution, and i would gladly dump Gmail and all its arbitrary restrictions. Unfortunately my email client only supports TLS 1.3, and my third party supplier does not yet support TLS 1.3.

J.A. Coutts