cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Windows computer on my Telus Wi Fi has wrong location

RCMPenguin
Just Moved In

For the last month or so, location services for any Windows computer (laptop, 2 in 1, Surface, etc.) that connects to my home Wi Fi says we are in Sacramento, California, instead of my actual home here in Calgary. Neither I nor my router nor any of my computers have ever been to Sacramento.

• This has nothing to do with the computers themselves. Take them to any other Wi Fi and they correctly locate themselves. It happens with my computers that live here, and when friends visit with their own. 
  • They are all running Windows 11.
  • I went to local Tim Hortons and connected to its free Wi Fi. Location services were correct. This only happens on my home Wi Fi.
  • It affects every app or browser function on the affected computers: Maps app, Bing and Google Maps, etc. Also changes my time zone if I let that set automatically.
  • It does not affect any phones on my Wi Fi, which I why I suspect location services. The phones all get locations from GPS and their cell network.
  • I verified the location of my IP address is correct with several online services. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with my router either.

Anyone have any ideas how to clear this up?

1 REPLY 1

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User
  • Which router are you using? One provided by Telus or your own?
  • If you plug your PCs into an ethernet connection at home, do they have the same issue?
  • If you turn location services off completely on your computer(s), what location comes up?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂