cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20mbps download speed or lower when I should be getting 40-50! 2 or lower upload speed.

Jsun
Organizer
I have been having issues with my wifi for a few months now (since we moved into a new house) and I feel like I have tried everything and i’m out of ideas now so ANY help would be great! So around about June, after we moved in the wifi seemed okay at first. I would get about 45 mbps download speed while playing video games (around 30-40 ping depending on the servers). Keep in mind, I have a 50 mbps download speed plan, non-fibre. About a week or two later, I would start having lag spikes or drops in the download speed. I’m talking it would drop down to around 5-10 mbps download speed (around 600 ping). I would have these drops every few seconds/minutes and they would last for maybe 10-30 seconds. So we called telus, and they sent a technician. The technician tested the speed via ethernet. He tested our router at the time and also a new one he had brought. The new one had faster speeds (around 50) so he just gave us that one. He also moved the boosters further from the router so it wouldn’t cause conjunction. So this had fixed the problem for about a few days, and then I started getting speed drops again. I ended up trying many things. Putting a fan on the router, restarting the router, etc... I ended up dealing with it till about mid-August until it became even slower. Instead of only having drops in the speed, it would STAY at a slower speed. It would just stay at a steady 10-20 mbps download speed and go up to 35-45 for a few seconds or minutes and then drop back down. (keep in mind this is when i’m the ONLY one on the wifi). So I called telus again, and they sent a technician. This time, the technician said it was switching from 2.4G and 5G, so he made it two different networks for me instead of it just being automatic. He also gave me a “secondary router” to help with the amount of devices that could be causing conjunction. So it worked for probably two days, but I was still getting miniature speed drops. (20-30) mbps. A few days ago, it has gone back to normal, even before the second time the technician came. The speeds are staying at around 15 and only going up to 40-45 for a few minutes or seconds. Even after I restart my router, It’s fast for maybe half an hour, with 45 mbps then all of a sudden it drops to around 20 mbps. Keep in mind this even happens when i’m not playing video games. Just on my phone, being the ONLY one using the wifi. I use speedtest by Ookla to test my speeds. Please, help me find a solution, anything will help!
43 REPLIES 43

@Jsun,

It is a bit of a long shot, but some years ago before I was using Windows 10, I was having issues with my Internet 25 having slow download and poor ping time. One of the Telus techs or perhaps someone here suggested this change:

Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapter, Ethernet device, Advanced, Speed & Duplex: The default setting here is Auto Negotiate. I changed it to 100 Mbps Full Duplex. It improved my ping time to 6 ms and download to 24.8 Mbps. This was with a single phone line and Internet 25.

After I upgraded to Windows 10 I have not been making that change. I just looked at it and tried it now both with Auto Negotiate and the 100 Mbps. It made no difference. I got 4 ms, 80 down, and 21 up, with both setups. I am supposed to get 75 down and 15 up, so hard to complain. When you look at how the Ookla test behaves mine just goes straight to 80 and sits there steady. Same with upload, straight to 20-21 and sits there steady. I think that indicates I am getting full speed out of the router, and Telus is throttling the speed down to what I am supposed to get with a bit of a 5-6 Mbps bonus. I recall when I was having issues the speed would go up and down during the test.

My thoughts are that if you are on a single copper line, that is likely the issue. It may not be good enough for 50 Mbps. If you are on two lines bonded, then you should easily get 50 Mbps. 

I have two telephone lines going out of the router.