cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I forced to upgrade my Vivint system?

kinncj
Friendly Neighbour

Hi,

Yesterday I had a message showing up on my Vivint's display "Urgent: Account upgrade required, call #phone number #".

After calling Telus, I was informed that I needed to upgrade the system and account, which would cost me money... both the system, and a new account..
I've acquired my current system in 2022 with Vivint prior to the acquisition, a total of 25 devices (4k dollars in equipment) and a 60mo contract.
During the acquisition, the letter stated that no changes would happen to my plan... it was just the billing transitioning from Vivint to Telus

First month under Telus and it increased by 4 dollars... ok, no notice nor anything... but 4 dollars wouldn't change anything... and now I am asked to upgrade my system...

Why am I forced to upgrade my account and spend extra on top of my 2yo devices and go with a more expensive plan? if I was to quit, I would be forced to pay the contractual fees... and now you want to force me to spend even more money? no matter if I quit or I stay, I need to pay cash regardless... either a penalty, or a forced upgrade (upsell).

A few calls with customer support already and no resolution... keep sending me to the "custom security for residential" cuz "residential" claims I have too many sensors (noted, cameras are accounted as sensors) and no resolution.

What a ripoff

4 REPLIES 4

TELUS_Support
Official Support Team
Official Support Team

Hi @kinncj - I understand that you may not want to upgrade. Unfortunately we won't have more information here in the Neighbourhood as to why you need to upgrade, however, we can get you in touch with our team that will be able to explain further.

If you do want us to connect you, please send us a private message

Need to private message us but don't know how? Check out this step-by-step guide.

Yeah, it didn't solve my issues, tho.
It seems that nothing Vivint had setup before is compatible to Alarm dot com...

So, for me to migrate to Telus, I need new equipment... which makes no sense; why would you acquire Vivint and scam the customer base to acquire new hardware? 

In 3y my Vivint contract will be expired, I will have a 4yo system which in my opinion is NEW, 4k investment, and I will be left hanging with no support and no monitoring cuz ADT/Telus won't support my devices despite them acquiring VIVINT!

You guys don't do any due diligence on your acquisitions to know whether it will work or not?

still no resolution @TELUS_Support , what a mess

Joni22
Neighbour

I recently moved over to Telus from Vivint as well and they tried to tell me I needed to upgrade my equipment too. I told them I would not be spending any money as a result of their acquisition of Vivint as all my equipment was working just fine. I also mentionted that their announcement indicated that we would see no change except for the billing.  They then offered to replace all my equipment at "no cost", but when we went through in detail what they would be sending, it wasn't as many sensors as I have with my Vivint system. My bill has stayed the exact same from when I was with Vivint but I am not sure how long this will last. Since the switch now my system has nothing but issues and even had a false alarm in the middle of the night as a result of their firmware and system updates not working properly.  Very, very angry about this move from Vivint to Telus as well.  They missed a lot during their "due dilligence"  

Might be able to complain to the Competition bureau of Canada regarding this.