Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phishing

Ralph6410
Just Moved In

This a scam/phishing or some other trick thing, in my email this AM

RALPH, 
Congratulations!
You’ve earned a free contest entry for a chance to win one of five $1,000 TELUS bill credits as a bonus for redeeming an ocean or tree restoration item. Plus, we will plant an extra tree on your behalf. A limit of one contest entry is permitted per day. Offer valid until December 24, 2023. 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Ralph I got this email too and was suspicious. However, I think it is legit. I went to my Telus rewards account directly (did not click on the email), and found the points balance listed on the email matched my balance. And the free entry was noted there as well. The email had my correct name and a verifiable account item (balance), both usually do not appear on a phishing email. 
No need to do anything from the email, I just deleted it. Good luck on the contest.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@Ralph I got this email too and was suspicious. However, I think it is legit. I went to my Telus rewards account directly (did not click on the email), and found the points balance listed on the email matched my balance. And the free entry was noted there as well. The email had my correct name and a verifiable account item (balance), both usually do not appear on a phishing email. 
No need to do anything from the email, I just deleted it. Good luck on the contest.

Given all the “clever” ways these emails try to trick you into clicking it pays to be cautious. 

I got the same crappy email.

This is sketchy AF.

Note that the links are all to a third party (smartbutton.com).  With a little more digging you can find the following other links:

https://thsmfmqa.customerentry.ca
https://trackingtest.smartbutton.com
tracking.socketlabs.com
tracking.kognitivloyalty.com

All of this is especially troubling as I have opted out of all the Spam (oops, I mean "customer loyalty") crap. So, either Telus has offloaded their "for the trees" program to a third party or something worse is going on. Either way, they are allowing private information (name, email address, points accumulated...) out of their domain. Which is troubling.

I'd be interested to hear from their privacy team on this

If you're wanting to talk to their privacy team, their number (if called from Alberta or BC) is 310-1000, or 1-800-567-0000 or by email [email protected]. You can also get taken off the Telus telemarketing lists by contacting them.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

cseidler
Just Moved In

Got a call on my mobile phone from 6044216800.  Claiming they where TELUS.  Asked many questions as he was offering a new phone and $40 PER MONTH.  BAHAHHA....went along with the call...until he asked me what kind of phone I have.  I said you are TELUS you should know what phone I have.  But he's from the marketing dept he says and doesn't have that info.  I said ALL depts can get my info considering they are a telecommunications company....he says we don't get it.  What phone are you using....I said I won't tell you...he said GO F yourself and hung up....beware peeps 🙂