cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADT 3G Mandatory Upgrade

dyno3
Just Moved In

I'm wondering if any of you have dealt with a similar notice. I found it odd that Telus sent me a notice via registered mail saying to book your mandatory security upgrade due to 3G service going away in Canada. 

We have an 8-year old ADT system that doesn't use cellular 3G to communicate but a landline; wired sensors throughout. So I find it odd that I need to upgrade anything. Also, from what I know 3G isn't disappearing until December 2025, so the urgency is strange.

Is upgrading really necessary?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I received a similar letter and called the Customer Support number provided. I have a 3G panel which would need to be upgraded to 4G/LTE. However, instead of focusing on booking an appointment to have the hardware replaced, the customer representatives insisted on me changing my current monthly plan. To make matters worse, she wouldn't confirm if the new plan would keep an essential part of my current plan: up to 4 visits per year by a Security team, in case I'm not home or I don't answer the phone to cancel the alarm (at no additional cost to me). She actually seemed genuinely confused by the contents of my letter which states hardware upgrade to 4G/LTE network. She told me the purpose of this process is to change customers to a new plan as well as hardware upgrade.  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @dyno3 I do recommend reaching out to our SmartHome Security team directly at 1-855-255-8828 to discuss this with them if you'd like. From what I understand, the 2025 date isn't definitive in Canada (yet) though we do typically follow suit in cases like this now that the U.S. has begun to phase it out. From a reliability standpoint, this would be an opportunity to upgrade and ensure that you're protected when it does occur. 

I received a similar letter and called the Customer Support number provided. I have a 3G panel which would need to be upgraded to 4G/LTE. However, instead of focusing on booking an appointment to have the hardware replaced, the customer representatives insisted on me changing my current monthly plan. To make matters worse, she wouldn't confirm if the new plan would keep an essential part of my current plan: up to 4 visits per year by a Security team, in case I'm not home or I don't answer the phone to cancel the alarm (at no additional cost to me). She actually seemed genuinely confused by the contents of my letter which states hardware upgrade to 4G/LTE network. She told me the purpose of this process is to change customers to a new plan as well as hardware upgrade.