cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are so many 'New' episodes broadcast out of order for the 'Series'?

MrSL
Leader

If it's relevant, this is for TelusTv-21T.

Why are 'New' programs broadcast out of order for the 'Series'?

So after months and months we can now supposedly see 'New, Live' etc. listings in the program guide, but why do so many appear out of numerical order for the series? This is not unique to a particular channel or program. Isn't the whole point of viewing or recording a 'Series' that it's broadcast in program order and without missing episodes too?

So to visualize this I set a few 'Series' recordings, recording just 'New' episodes to demonstrate...

in listings order, 14, 9, 15, 10???

20240104_183818_HDR.jpg

5, then 4?

20240104_183636_HDR.jpg

1, then 4. Where is 2 and 3?

20240104_200214_HDR.jpg20240104_200252_HDR.jpg

1 then 3, where is 2?

20240104_200358_HDR.jpg20240104_200423_HDR.jpg

Madness!

I can almost see the reply... "Oh it's not Telus, it's our 3rd party supplier... well that's not an excuse. Ever heard the phrase 'flogging a dead horse'?

6 REPLIES 6

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Pretty much what you said. Telus provides access to the content they don't control how the broadcasters present it.

Part of this is related to rebroadcasting of the same episode. If you've programmed a series after a missed episode if it's available again it's obviously going to be out of sequence.

You didn't mention if you are using the option to only record first runs of episodes. This will help but then you will not get episodes that have already been broadcast.

If you have a solution you can post it in the ideas section of this forum.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

Well I'm just waiting to see how Shaw/Rogers broadcast, in particular the first item "Beat Bobby Flay" if they're all out of sync too, I can't remember even though it was only 7 months ago. 😕

As for;"You didn't mention if you are using the option to only record first runs of episodes." Well I count at least 3... It's in the post title 'New', also in the body;"Why are 'New' programs broadcast out of order for the 'Series'?" & "So to visualize this I set a few 'Series' recordings, recording just 'New' episodes"  😉

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Ultimately the issue is how the shows are tagged by the broadcaster. If a rebroadcast episode is tagged as 'new' it will be included in your recordings.

I record numerous series as first run only and rarely experience the issue you are seeing.

and you are using the TelusTv-21T STB?

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I have both the new and old box. Recording is not availble for me on the new box so I cannot test this feature out there.

Rocky3
Rockstar

None of my fav shows have started yet to be able to tell about recording order. But what MrSL says happens with rerun series when there is a marathon run. Of course the guide does not tell you date or episode number until until you go to details. Just checked a series marathon and it is all over the dates first run and not a week apart consectively. You would not know until recorded