cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Optik TV vs New - Which is better?

RyDawg
Advisor

So my grandpa is currently with Shaw and is paying a very ridiculous price for TV + internet with them, so I am shopping for some better plans for them. So far Telus has a better price plus he already has home phone and mobility with them, so I was thinking of getting him to switch over. The big issue is wether or not the new Optik TV system is worth it. Should we just go for the new system or instead ask if Telus can instead instal the old Optik TV system? Cause Ive been hearing problems with the new system such as worse picture quality and other issues, and unfortunately no one else in the family currently has the new system to try out for ourselves. Plus my grandparents mostly watch and record live TV and I doubt they watch streaming services that much, so the lack of streaming apps on the old system shouldn't be too much of an issue for them. 

10 REPLIES 10

polecat
All-Star

@RyDawg  I think you will get the new system. That being said compare channel lineups packages $$$$..Shaw and Optik The favorite channel or channels they like the most maybe in separate blocks and increase the price. Things that are in basic in one but not in the other price goes up. Look at it close there are different lineups in both.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus is moving to the Telus TV+ product, and not issuing equipment for the old Optik service, so as @polecat stated, he will be getting the new service. Look to see what is truly best for him before making the leap, including his familiarity with the current platform.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Lcar
Friendly Neighbour

I would not recommend the new system for anyone, especially seniors.  It is self install, equipment doesnt work properly, delay in picture starting, skips, remote is not user friendly

Lcar
Friendly Neighbour

I would not recommend new system for anyone, especially seniors.  It is self install, picture is slow to load, sound skips, remote is not user friendly.  Very poor quality equipment that Telus doesn’t seem to be able to support.  Technicians are not trained on new equipment to be able to support.  All staff have said is yes we’ve heard there are issues but no one seems able to assist

Zman2k2
Ambassador
@RyCar I would recommend talking to Shaw before changing your Grandpa to a new service. My Mother-in-law was on Telus for 20 years before she had to move into a care home. She STILL, a year later, has issues with the Shaw box, and I’m constantly troubleshooting over the phone. Sometimes the money is secondary to the familiarity of things.

st0106
Advocate
Did she fill up the 200hrs storage easily within 45 days after the installation and does she archive programs beyond 45 days?

Im not sure if you mean me, but no. She never recorded anything. She has dementia, and is just a channel surfer. She had Telus for 20 years before moving into a care home. The care home only has Shaw service. It’s been over a year, and she still has trouble navigating.

As an example, with Telus, I set the box so she could just push the “up” button and it would cycle back to the bottom of the channel list to go up again. With Shaw, she runs into the 200s and just keeps going, not knowing any better. I have to talk her through getting back to channel 2 every couple days.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Will the Care Home allow other TV service suppliers? Many don’t!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Checked into months ago.  No they don’t.  The bill is $55/month for TV, which seems high.  What I was told was the phone jack is single pair, and they’d have to open up the wall to make the Optik T3200 work.  Don’t you need a bonded pair for Optik?

HiddenValley
Organizer

Be careful. As others have said;

Be aware of the "package model" if there are specific channels @ Shaw that you want in TELUS make sure you add all the right bundles.  IF just basic TV then no problem, but adding all the premium channels may result in adding multiple bundles to bring up the price. 

IMHO - the "box" and user interface is definitely NOT senior friendly... -yet..
The Telus system is totally different, the remote, the buttons, the guide, the channel numbers, the on screen guides, everything is new and different! I personally would NEVER put this in front of my 90 year old dad, he could never handle the transition.