cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing channels

TelusUser1957
Organizer

OWN, OLN and NASA channels are being removed from the channel lineup. What will be replacing them? If nothing, when will we see a bill reduction?

3 REPLIES 3

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Questions like this come up every time a broadcaster shuts down a channel. Channel packs aren't always updated instantly. There may not be a replacement channel added to the packs right away, later on, or at all. Depends on the pack and if there are other channels that'll fit in with it. The price for the packs may or may not change right away. If the price does change, it should automatically update on your account. If any of the shut down channels were subscribed to individually then you won't be billed for them going forward.

Broadcasters for the last few years have been shutting down a fair number of channels that were either redundant or not profitable. With more moving towards streaming services they can charge more for, more channels are likely to shut down. New channels may come about far less often now.

Optik TV Service updates are posted here: https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/optik-tv-service-updates

From elsewhere online:

OLN: In July 2024, it was revealed that OLN would be rebranded as a Canadian version of Bravo (a sibling network of the U.S version) on September 1, 2024, as part of a brand licensing agreement with NBCUniversal. The channel is now owned by Rogers.

OWN: On June 25, 2024, a notice posted to the service updates page of Rogers Cable stated that "starting September 1, 2024, OWN TV Canada will no longer be aired by the broadcaster."

NASA: On July 29, 2024, NASA announced that it would phase out NASA TV in favor of NASA+ due to an increase of viewership on its digital platforms. The linear feeds would close on August 28 of that year, at 11 PM Eastern Daylight Time.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

@Nighthawk wrote:

Questions like this come up every time a broadcaster shuts down a channel. Channel packs aren't always updated instantly. There may not be a replacement channel added to the packs right away, later on, or at all. Depends on the pack and if there are other channels that'll fit in with it.

I recently mentioned in the Blog section that Telus really needs to look at shuffling their theme packs around - with these 3 channels being dropped recently there are now a few theme packs with just 3 channels included ( Favourite Films, Laughs & Cheers and Adrenaline ) or 4 channels included( Prime Time and Explore ).

Rocky3
Rockstar

OWN was on my favorites as it had shows we watched. Between seasons it is hard to know if I miss anything. Still we left eastlink after they cut about 18 channels we frequented. I hope this is not going to continue to happen here.