cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live Sports

Franklyn
Just Moved In
Why are live sports not really “live” and is a good minute behind ?
I just got the new Telus box and I never ran into this problem when I had the older boxes ? Watching the football game and I compared it to my DAZN stream and DAZN was ahead of my “live” tv . When usually DAZN is a play behind on anyone else tv .
Watching baseball game and look at the app and I’m again way behind on my live tv . Is this normal ?
14 REPLIES 14

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello. Right now some feeds are approximately 30 seconds behind, but rest assured this is definitely something that our team is actively working on and we plan on having a fix very soon!

capital_telus
Neighbour
All sports appear to be 40 seconds behind the older boxes, and 40 seconds behind Shaw boxes.

Incredibly frustrating. It certainly feels like we're paying for low-quality streaming, not to mention the boxes freeze completely and require a reboot once a week.

Paul97
Friendly Neighbour

I have the same issue... why am I paying for lower quality picture and delayed live sports?! If I watch the 4K channel the picture quality is better but the delay is more like 1 minute... I can't even text my friends about the game since I will see every goal ahead of time if I check my phone. I might as well just get Sportsnet+ streaming instead since it's delayed as well. The only reason I used to pay for cable TV was live sports. 

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Rest assured, our Optik team is actively working on improving both of these aspects!

Paul97
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks for the response, please keep us posted... is there any estimated timeline for a fix that would reduce the delay to a more reasonable amount?

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Nothing that I can give definitively now, though our team pushes through releases/updates on a very regular basis, each with a multiple amount of fixes, etc. And this issue is of course one of the very urgent ones so they're well aware and working on it!

40 second delay wasn't exactly on the advertisement. Telus internet is solid but the only reason I have Optik TV is for live sports. It's incredibly disappointing and I would never have switched if I knew. Sigh.

Same here... if it doesn't get fixed eventually I'll likely cancel Optik TV. Unfortunately I don't think this issue is as simple as a software update, I imagine they have to update their servers potentially or network infrastructure. Anyways hoping for something sooner than later. It's not like this is a brand new issue. 

100% not renewing my home services after my current contact ends. I'm paying a premium for live sports and I get texts about goals before I see them. Telus chose a cheap delivery system and they are now known for sub-par TV because of this. If that's not enough, my wired internet speeds are 1/2 or a 1/4 of the 'max' speeds in my contract and Telus has said it's acceptable.

Added bonus, when my internet stops working I can't watch the game. 

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Have you had the chance to speak with our Tech Support team regarding your internet service issues?

I have wasted over 12 hours of my time dealing with support and in-store personnel, including having support come to my house to verify my speed in person, only to find out that Telus techs don't have laptops with ethernet ports greater than 1gbps.

I downgraded to 1gbps and my speed is now the same percentage lower with 1gbps, regardless if I'm using 10gbps hardware straight to the 10gbps port on the modem.

Yes, Shaw speeds aren't symmetrical, but the speed is consistent and Telus internet has not been able to provide actual symmetrical service anyways.

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Alright. There will be notes on your account then from every single tech test, call, and visit so we can definitely take a look at those notes on the account to see what they've said. I'll send you a private message to discuss further!

While you're at it, my bill is still higher than the amount I was promised in-store and my welcome bonus still has not been paid.

It should also be in the notes.