cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed Captioning not working when playing back recordings

piqpst
Neighbour

When I watch a recorded show the closed captioning never works. It is turned on. When I watch the same recording on my mobile app on the phone or using the website on a laptop, the closed captioning works for recorded shows. Any ideas?

17 REPLIES 17

Optik-Kate
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @piqpst, I checked several recordings on my TV and the closed caption is coming up. Are you noticing it missing on all recordings or certain specific ones? 

Hello. New episodes of the Simpsons, Family Guy, Young Sheldon, and The Conners are some recent ones.

JQ2
Neighbour

We just signed up to Telus TV and have recently noticed the same issues.  CC on recorded programs doesnt work when viewing from the TV, but works fine when using the App on my iPhone.  CC on the same program when viewing live on the TV works fine. Any ideas?

TELUS_Support
Official Support Team
Official Support Team

Our team is aware of this issue and actively investigating. We'll advise everyone of updates as we get them!

Need to private message us but don't know how? Check out this step-by-step guide.

Just a note to add from another customer here, to say I'm having the same problem. Last night with the Bachelorette, I could access the closed captions on the live broadcast but not on the recording. And also a few days ago with House of the Dragon on HBO. Thanks for any help or suggestions!

TELUS_Support
Official Support Team
Official Support Team

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We know the issue with closed captions not appearing on recorded broadcasts and are working to resolve it. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Need to private message us but don't know how? Check out this step-by-step guide.

PRD7002
Neighbour

I am having this problem too.  So frustrating because when I start playing a recording the CC is playing ok but stops right in the middle of a program.  I am very hard of hearing so I cannot finish watching the recording.

TELUS_Support
Official Support Team
Official Support Team

We understand how important this feature is, we're currently investigating this issue to understand what's causing it and to ensure it gets resolved. We appreciate your patience and will keep you updated as we fix this.

Dcnorth
Friendly Neighbour

CC still does not work. Specifically with the Bachelorette half the CC is missing. If you were to watch without sound you would miss half the show. No idea why this has happened. 

notice the same thing on “The First 48”. 

how long is a fix going to take. 

TELUS_Support
Official Support Team
Official Support Team

While we can't give a definitive timeframe to the CC fix, our team is definitely aware of it and working on resolving the issue as quickly as possible. Appreciate your patience!

Dcnorth
Friendly Neighbour

This still does not work. In addition, closed captioning does not track accurately at all. Half the words are missing. When will this be resolved? We are a month past the expected firmware update and this TV system has so many issues. 

TParisella
Neighbour

I am having the same frustrating issue with RuPaul’s Global All stars and Amazing Race Canada. It’s truly disappointing and I hope the issue is fixed quickly. 

WendieJo
Just Moved In

I have the very same problem.  I am arguing with Telus about it now!!  It is so very very frustrating.  Sometimes the recorded program will begin with closed captioning, but by the end it has disappeared.  Yes, the closed captioning is on my phone, but not the TV.  

WendieJo
Just Moved In

I have the very same problem and I'm arguing with Telus now.  They say it's nothing to do with them.  When I watch a show live the closed captioning is fine, but when I record it, it is not there.  However, the same show recorded on my iphone has the closed captioning.  Sometimes a recorded show will start with closed captioning, but by the end it has disappeared.  So very frustrating.  

WendieJo
Just Moved In

I have the very same problem.  I am arguing with Telus now!!  They say it has nothing to do with them.  When I watch a show live the closed captioning is fine, but when I record it, it is not there.  Sometimes at the beginning of a recorded show the captioning is there, but by the end it has disappeared again.  So frustrating when you tape a show prepare to watch it later only to discover no closed captioning, so can't enjoy it.

Rocky3
Rockstar

CC last night. Seems more shows are multi language so I turned on CC. I understand English BTW. So the foreign language did not CC to english. BUT, bless your heart Telus, whenever they spoke English, the CC worked well typing out in English exactly what I heard them say in English.

Yup on live tv it’s great but not when I record a show. Sometimes it does and other times it doesn’t. Kinda hit and miss.