cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone explain these terms to me on a plan I am looking at?

vanhalen26
Neighbour

Can someone clarify this to me?  I'm looking at a plan upgrade but just want to understand a couple items in the new plan.  

Unlimited Domestic & Int'l Text

- Is there a fee to send a text to Italy for example while within Canada?  I called Telus to ask and they said that it would be pay per use even with this feature in a plan that I am considering.  That doesn't make sense.  

- Does this feature cover SMS, MMS and Video or just SMS?

- if I am outside of Canada, is there a fee to send?  I assume that's roaming and a pay per use feature.  

For the CAN-US 5G+ plans, would SMS, MMS and Video messages be at no charge between US and Canada (Or 'US to US' or 'Canada to Canada') while a subscriber is in the US or Canada?  I assume its included.  

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Historically, Telus only offered free domestic texting, but it appears that SOME of their current plans now offer free international texting. Can you share a link to th plan you are considering?

This page suggests that unlimited international plans should include MMS and Picture messaging.

Canada-US effectively makes the border transparent to your plan. Messages will be at no additional charge between US and Canada in either direction.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

The link was in my portal as a plan offer, so it’s not on a web page but this is what it said verbatim: Unlimited Domestic & Int'l Text

The International texting plans include text, picture and video messaging as long as the message is sent from Canada so outside of Canada would be pay per use; the only exception to this would be if on a CAN-US plan and then it would include unlimited messaging between the two countries including while in the US.

Thanks. They should make it more clear in the plan descriptions. And over and above that I called TELUS and the phone rep insisted it’s pay per use (I even recorded the call as I wanted back up for a plan change), and when I said that makes no sense and asked him to double check, he put me on hold and checked with his team and doubled down on it when he returned.

It could just be a language issue, it was clear English was his second language and the connection was awful (like an overseas call center) so maybe he just didn’t understand. It’s ironic that a phone company would have bad connections with their call centers.

Anyways - thanks for clarifying. I’ve upgraded my plan - for the extra $5 a month I get more features including the international text. That’s a bonus as my kid will be traveling and using temporary numbers this summer.

Here's what I was told from a Telus representative they said that domestic part of the texting was only texting in your province and the International meant to the rest of Canada so either way it's just within Canada which is kind of silly cause that's not what international means to me.what the plans used to say was, Nationwide texting and if the texting is only available across Canada then it really should say "unlimited Nationwide texting" like it used to to avoid confusion. I feel like they're trying to confuse people and get people to sign up for something that they think they're getting but they're not.

I think that rep gave you the wrong information as International texting includes text/pic/video messaging from Canada to other countries and plans without international texting cover Canada to Canada messaging.

Well thats what I said to her, that international would mean to text someone that lives outside of canada and what they are saying makes no sense & confusing cause that would be nationwide but they just responded with I know a lot of people have questions when it comes to this. 🤷‍:male_sign:
I mean if they are wrong, why don't they know their plans and the fine print on them.
(I just went through a thing with them signing up for a plan that they didn't tell me the fine print on it where I was very clear what I needed & had to get everything straightened out after the fact. )
Would save everyone a lot of headaches .

CrazyLady
Just Moved In
I have this exact question and get mixed answers when calling them or trying to read about it. It's beyond confusing and shouldn't be. It is frustrating how they can't make it simple and more cost effective for the consumer. I am now switching my plan to Freedom Mobile where your plan is straight forward and no tricky wording to make you go "huh?". All for waaaaaaay cheaper than what I get from Telus. And yes, I will be getting the same GBs and same Can-US and also Mexico! BA-bye Telus.

CrazyLady
Just Moved In
I have this exact question and get mixed answers when calling or reading about it. It is super confusing. It is beyond frustrating how they can't make it simple and more cost effective for the consumer. I am now switching my plan to Freedom Mobile where your plan is straight forward and no tricky wording to make you go "huh?". All for waaaaaaay cheaper than what I get from Telus. And yes, I will be getting the same GBs and same Can-US and also Mexico! BA-bye Telus.