cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving texts from some people

johnehood
Friendly Neighbour

Hi, 

I have an GalxyS23 and I am unable to receive texts from some people. They can send me pictures fine but not text messages. They all have iphones but others with iphones can text me no problem. 

I have been through all the troubleshooting steps on the Telus website and I have not found a solution. They are able to message me on my work android phone and all the settings are identical, the only difference is that the work phone is with another provider. 

14 REPLIES 14

xray
Hero
When you say they can send you pictures how are they sending it?
They may be trying to use iMessage to send text messages to your personal phone number.

johnehood
Friendly Neighbour
Not using imessage. They're able to text my work cell which is also an android, using the same messages app with the same settings as my personal phone.

Your work phone has a different phone number than your personal phone.

johnehood
Friendly Neighbour
It does. Different number, different service provider. Same people who can't text me can text my wife, she has same phone but also different provider. As far as I can see it's an issue with telus service. After being on the phone with Telus for an hour and a half I was told I have to go into a store to have them try to figure it out.

On iPhones there is a setting associated with phone numbers that controls whether to send with iMessage or regular SMS text. It's specific to the destination phone number so the fact that it works to your work number doesn't tell you anything about your personal number. Have them delete your personal phone number save and then add it back after to see if it works after.

johnehood
Friendly Neighbour
Tried that too. It tells them that it's sending as a regular sms text when they send it but I don't get it.

The other possibility is that you have their phone number blocked in your contacts.

johnehood
Friendly Neighbour
No. I've narrowed it down to just not being able to receive sms texts from certain people. Even some people who can text me using rcs, they can't if it's an sms. Only seems to be an issue when going from people using rogers to me.

Yeah, RCS goes over data/WiFi so it's not the same path.
Can you SMS them?
Can they voice call you?

johnehood
Friendly Neighbour
I can text them but they can only message me via mms or rcs. Sms aren't getting through to me from any rogers users. They can call me.

I think we've exhausted all the things you can test/check yourself. Looks to be an issue with the SMS gateway between Rogers and Telus

johnehood
Friendly Neighbour
Seems that way. Hopefully telus can resolve the issue.

Mat_Oligny
Just Moved In

This is an odd issue. I've kind of had the same issue, but with an iPhone. Not sure, it may or not be related to RCS ?

Rcs and mms are the only ways I can get messages from any rogers customers.