cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

internet- changing from phone land line to fibreoptic

Anon125
Advocate

This is my second try at getting this forum to work. wish me luck. 

the forum has serious technical problems.

phone calls and emails to telus- nobody could answer simple questions.

there is a utility pole at end of our driveway - i assume it has fibreoptic.

does a cable have to come down the pole, go underground until it reaches the house?

when it comes thru the wall of the house, what is on the inside?

is there a box that needs power?

as we do not want cables all over the house we will need wifi.

will we need a new modem?

if it installed in the garage how do we get wifi to the laptops and tablets?

hopefully the chromebook will still work!

anything else i need to know?

thanks fellow sufferers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DrPacman
Rockstar

@Anon125 Wrote: This is my second try at getting this forum to work. wish me luck. 

==========================

Let's see if your luck has changed...

This may help you understand the process better...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsZcMbSlAuA

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo", or mark as solution if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

View solution in original post

A step-by-step guide to how the expert TELUS PureFibre installation team will connect your home to the fibre optic grid running beneath the sideway.
18 REPLIES 18

DrPacman
Rockstar

@Anon125 Wrote: This is my second try at getting this forum to work. wish me luck. 

==========================

Let's see if your luck has changed...

This may help you understand the process better...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsZcMbSlAuA

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo", or mark as solution if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

A step-by-step guide to how the expert TELUS PureFibre installation team will connect your home to the fibre optic grid running beneath the sideway.

thanks. that answered SOME questions

polecat
All-Star

@Anon125  Need to know is your telephone & power o/h---   or---- u/g---- goes to house first or to seperate not part of house garage first then feeds house.  you can check your address on telus site to see if fiber  available in your area. Ask your neighbour. Is your basement finished and do you have internet service now and who is it. I will try to help

power o/h---   or---- u/g---- goes - what happened?

garage is part of house.

fibre is on pole at end of driveway.

crawl space has furnace in it.

i suspect the big ugly "router" has to be on the wall of a bedroom.

one story house

thanks

@Anon125  Does your power and telephone come to house overhead or underground  o/h u/g. Is power panel in garage give location of install of fiber . Where the fiber enters the house  an ont ( optical network terminal ) is installed (needs 120volt outlet ) then you connect the router whitch can be anywhere inhouse by a cate 5 internet cable. This could be a closet or office area central to house if possible needs 120 volt. Check  your address with telus  google to see if fiber is in your area or town ask your neighbour  Are you shure fiber is on pole.

Power comes from the pole overhead o/h

we have two poles sticking out from the roof, think one goes to a grey plastic box on the outside.

So if they install the ont in the garage perhaps near the electric power panel it will need a power outlet. then a cable has to go from there to a router which sends out the wifi. rhe router will also need a power supply. Quite sure the fibre is on the utility pole.but how do i check that?

have i got things clear now?

could the wire from the ont go to a socket on the inside of the  wall that separates the garage from the house?

thanks very much for your great help

@Anon125  First thing google  (   google TELUS  fiber service area  )   use the map or enter your address  or your town the site is interactive  Again ASK YOUR NEIGHBOURS.........Two pipes one is power to meter base  small one telephone and possible cable company so two wires in it. Small pipe goes to grey demarcation box with a hole in back where tel wires enter house. meter and grey box side by side right.  I assume power panel is directly behind meter base in garage and so are the tel wires that go to your tel jacks. The fiber will come in from grey box ( new one now bigger ) to the ont  on the wall. You need 120 volt outlet there. All wiring inside house is your problem tel does not do any of that. It will be yours to install a network cable  ( cate 5 0r 6 Whatever ) to what ever point you want have it. You have a crawl space you can run the cate anywhere you want to hook to router. . If you want to have your telephone on fiber you  can do that to. Note phones won't  work  on fiber during power outage ask for power back up mounts by ONT requires 120 outlet. Select a good central point to have your router. From router you can hardwire (cate) to any of your devices for better speed than wifi. Sooner or later telus is retiring copper wire at some point in older areas. 

as telus is forcing us to change from phoneline to fibreoptic...

this is NOT good news.

"All wiring inside house is your problem tel does not do any of that. It will be yours to install a network cable  ( cate 5 0r 6 Whatever ) "

difference between 5 or 6?

who would install such things?

thanks

@Anon125  You will have no choice about fiber phone line the copper is very costly to maintain and corrodes badly. I had the phone moved to fiber after 10 years finaley a line with no buzzing in it. It' no cost to you if  get the fiber if you can. Find out if you have fiber available and go from there Let us know here please. Cate 5 or cate6 different speeds 5e is the most common i residential.  internet. An electrican can install the fiber and plugs, SEE IF YOU GOT FIBER PLEASE

Telus PureFibre is what the letter says. plus it says "no cost to you" hope that includes all the extra wiring needed.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

There typically isn't any additional wiring needed in most cases. They'll connect the ONT to the copper phone lines in your house and your phones will work the same way they did previously. If you already have internet from Telus, there are ways the installer can integrate it into the existing network. The location where the ONT is installed and the nearby connections to it would determine how the installer connects everything. Only the installer once on site can they give you a specific idea as to what will be done. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Confusion at this end. now i realise that BOTH phone and internet will be changed.

telus in asia says there will be a battery back up of the phone if there is a electricity outage at our home. anyone know anything about this?

As the phone will be changing, and our present internet is via the phone copper wire in our home, the internet could still work. but will it be any faster as it still comes thru the copper wire in our home?

thanks all

@Anon125  Confusion?????? I ask for the last time IS FIBER AVAILABLE FOR YOU TO GET . If it is sign up for it BUT JUST HAVE YOUR PRESENT INTERNET PACKAGE MOVED TO THE NEW FIBER ACCOUNT. That what i did still have a 25/25 package grandfathered in at old low price. If you just put phone on to the fiber YOUR COPPER LINE WILL NO LONGER BE HOOKED TO YOUR HOUSE . iNTERNET  AND PHONE ARE BOTH ON THE FIBER AND ITS LIGHTING FAST COMPARED TO COPPER. If you ASK for a backup battery pack they should install it for you. You can get just the fast fiber internet and leave the phone alone it may be years before they shut down the copper by why not do both at the same time maybe copper is done 6 months from now.

@Anon125  Again do you have fiber available for you to get yes or no. You have a letter from fiber depart before ? you started asking the questions yes or no. Installation and equipment will be free would be 2 year contract. Internal house wiring & power is by you telus not wire houses. Letter to me does not mean fiber is on the pole outside. Telus has not wired house telephone circuits for more then 25 years and do not install house internet circuits that is homeowners responsibilty.

At the moment we have internet from only one phone socket. with the fibre will it be on all phone sockets

.avaiability. i very much doubt that even telus would force us to switch to fibre if it was not available!

@Anon125  Phone telus and sign up for fiber internet  310 8324

other companies have fibre as well

JeffThorsen777
Neighbour

Thanks a lot!