cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus blacklisted by UCEPROTECT

sgarces
Neighbour

I learned today we're all in the UCEPROTECT blacklist

You can check your IP by going to https://whatismyipaddress.com  and entering it here: http://www.uceprotect.net/en/rblcheck.php

See below for my results.

Question is, can we expect Telus to fix this?

firefox_I3hRjEWs6y.png

7 REPLIES 7

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

None of the Telus IPs I've tried, including my own, come up as blocked at all by that website. It may just be a very narrow range of IPs that are blocked, if the block is legitimate. Some sites out there refer to UCEPROTECT as a scam. Whether that's true or not, I don't know.

Since your screenshot isn't showing up yet, what is the text that you got from that website? Are you on a business or a home internet plan? Where are you getting messages telling you that UCEPROTECT is specifically the one blacklist blocking you? Are you running an email server on your connection? 

Additionally, does the IP address you are seeing on whatismyip match the public IP you see when you login to the Telus router you have? Did that website show the location of your IP? Is it reasonably close to the town or city you are in? Sometimes if a netblock of IPs was recently transferred, the location can take one to many months to update. That sometimes can be a factor.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I don't know why the screenshot is not showing. Here it is again: https://sgarces.com/firefox_I3hRjEWs6y.png

I'm on a home internet plan. I ran a search to see if there were any blacklist and this one showed up. I'm not running an email server or anything like that.

The page from UCEPROTECT explains the blacklist is not something I've done, but rather other users in the same group triggered a threshold and a global blacklist.

The IP address matches, it's 209.121.148.113 if you want to see the results yourself. It's correctly identified as being from Telus. When I go to whatismyipaddress.com the location looks spot on.

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I like the "PAY" to delist option.. Seems that's more their deal...

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

As a former mail administrator I have never used UCEPROTECT as a blacklisting service. This will only affect you if you are running a SMTP server from the listed IP address AND the receiving server is checking UCEPROTECT.

Telus doesn't support/recommend using a home account for running servers of any kind. If you wish to have a mail server you should have a business account/service which presumeably won't be listed on UCEPROTECT.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Additionally if enough people complain about messages that can get an ISP on a blacklist. Normally it's fairly trivial to be removed and an administrator just needs to contact the blacklisting service.

I'm on a Telus business account and my IP is being included in this list for no good reason, as well.  This listing is at the ASN level, so it's Telus-wide.  I run an email server (as I should be able to), and I follow every good practice for high-security and anti-spam that there is to follow, and yet my digital reputation is being tarnished because Telus has not dealt with this.  Telus just needs to get their crap together.

UCEPROTECT-Level3

Reputation of ASN 852 | TELUS Communications, CA

AS Status Spamscore Provider hastotal IP's Level 1 listed abuserswithin the last 7 days Impacts from Level 1 Level 3 Escalation limit by Impacts Optional express delistingWARNING!PROBLEM MUST BE FIXED FIRSTTO PREVENT NEW LISTINGS

852LISTED

Not available at this time.
Listingcounter is still growing !
Check your ASN again in 60 Minutes

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

It's unlikely Telus will do anything about this. The numbers reported are insignicant considering the total mail users Telus has.

I've used many RBL lists but had never heard of UCEPROTECT. I have used Spamcop, Spamhaus and Barracuda.

This may be of interest:

Will using UCEPROTECT blacklists block legitimate emails? - SpamHero