cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus Fiber and third party router

ThomasJ1983
Neighbour
Hey everyone, I have been struggling with this. I have the Telus fiber that comes into a nokia ont xs-250x-a modem. From there it goes into a Telus Network access hub. Then to my third part tp-link wireless router. The speed is fine for 10 minutes then it drops from 230mbs to 15mbs. I have tried factory resetting all three devices, using bridge mode, plugging the router right into the modem nothing seems to work. What is weird is that I don’t seem to have any issues using the Telus wifi6 router. But I have tried 3 different third party routers and none of them work. Could Telus be downgrading it somehow? Any ideas from anyone? Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

We don't downgrade anything, and unfortunately third party routers are outside of the scope of our Tech Support team. Hey @Nighthawk @xray would this be something you'd have possible insight in to?

xray
Hero
When you say the speed drops from 230mbs to 15mbs are you measuring the speed or are you looking at the WiFi link speed from the connection status?

I am running a speed test from my laptop and my cell phone using speedtest.net. After the network access hub is rebooted and the third party router is rebooted, it has high speed, then the very next test within a min. is the low speed, and every test after is low speed. Hopefully that makes sense.

C_Fun
Community Manager
Community Manager

Here are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Check Network Load: Ensure that no other devices are consuming a large amount of bandwidth while you're performing the speed tests.

2. Update Firmware: Ensure that both your network access hub and third-party router have the latest firmware updates.

3. Positioning: Make sure your router is positioned in a central location and not obstructed by walls or other electronic devices that could interfere with the signal.

4. Wired vs. Wireless: If possible, perform a speed test using a wired connection to see if the issue is specific to the wireless network.

5. Router Settings: Review the settings on your third-party router. Sometimes, certain configurations or security settings can impact speed performance.

6. Interference: Ensure there’s no interference from other devices operating on the same frequency, like microwaves or cordless phones.

If these steps do not resolve the issue, it may be beneficial to test with a different router to see if the third-party router is the cause. Additionally, contacting tech support may provide further insights and potential fixes for your speed inconsistencies.

The next time you test also check the WiFi link speed when it's fast and when it's slow. That will tell you whether it's the WiFi connection degrading.
If your laptop has an Ethernet port try doing the test using a LAN port on the third party router. If Ethernet is also slow then it's not a WiFi issue.