cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched to TELUS - how to use my own router?

ndjur
Friendly Neighbour

I just switched to TELUS from Shaw. I'll be using the Internet and 2 phone lines, so the installer made a setup with Nokia ONT XS-250X-A, Network Access Hub NH20T and Wireless AP B20T.

I would like to use my ASUS router AC1750 (RT-AC66U) that I used with Shaw and I'm wondering if I need to make any changes to the system in order to use this router (Bridge, IP-Passthrough or something else)?

Should it be connected straight to ONT, or to NH20T (and why)?

Just out of curiosity - isn't a Hub inferior to a Switch? What was a reason TELUS decided to use a Hub?

Thanks a lot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@ndjur Wrote: However, I would like to log in and double check, and for this I'm using credentials that I found in the large (130+ pages) "7368 Intelligent Services Access Manager ONT" - "7368 ISAM ONT XS-240W-A XS-250WX-A Product Guide" 

This is where the tricks begin. A couple of things to try here... First plug a laptop/computer into the 10Gbps port on the Nokia XS-250X-A and start it up. if the Nokia XS-250X-A is indeed in bridged mode you will receive a Telus WAN IP address as the IP of your computer. Be very carful doing this as the only firewall enabled will be what you have configured on that computer.

You should be able to navigate to the Nokia XS-250X-A via the address you previously tried. Sometime the admin user name is printed on a little label on the device, I would look for that and try it instead of the one generically found in the pdf document. Some of the time you can only get to the GUI interface after a reset.

As a last resort you may want to factory reset your Nokia XS-250X-A and then plug into one of the 1Gbps LAN ports 1-4 and you again should be able to log into that device.

Remember that if you do factory reset the device you will have to configure it into bridged mode again on the 10Gbps LAN port to get back where you are currently configured. again only factory reset if you are comfortable with reconfiguring the Nokia XS-250WX-A into bridged mode.

Personally, I'd just do the following as you are probably correct in the assumption that the Nokia XS-250X-A is indeed in bridged mode.

Unhook the NH20A as a test and hook up your ASUS AC1750's WAN port to the Nokia XS-250X-A  10Gbps LAN port and see if everything's working.

Then the only device you have to worry about configuring would be the ASUS AC1750... Cheers

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

DrPacman
Rockstar

@ndjur Wrote: (Bridge, IP-Passthrough or something else)?

You should be able to log into your Nokia XS-250X-A and place that device into bridged mode. I personally would bridge the device to the 10Gbps port, and then pass that signal to your ASUS AC1750 (RT-AC66U) router for firewalling/routing purposes.

Your rj11 phone ports should continue working as prior, and the MoCA port will feed any MoCA devices such as Ethernet adapters etc. Note you may see multiple WAN addresses assigned to your Nokia XS-250X-A and your ASUS AC1750, apparently this is normal. Found this out when I bridged the NH20A router supplied by Telus.

I'm not sure just why Telus supplied you with both a Nokia XS-250X-A and a Network Access Hub NH20T, perhaps your XS-250X-A  is already in bridged mode, and they are using it for your phone connections as the NH20A will only support 1 phone line, and you have indicated that you have 2 lines. Then passing the raw signal to the NH20A for routing/firewalling purposes.

If indeed your setup has the Nokia XS-250X-A in bridged mode, you may be able to remove the NH20A and go straight to your ASUS AC1750. Thus allowing it to handle the firewall/routing functions.

More information would be needed to suggest any other configurations that may be possible here... Cheers...

For reference I've linked to the Nokia XS-250X-A overview document here.

https://www.al-enterprise.com/-/media/assets/internet/documents/ale-nokia-7368-isam-ont-xs-250wx-a-d...

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

ndjur
Friendly Neighbour

Thank you very much.

I'll follow your suggestion fully and inform you about the results.

ndjur
Friendly Neighbour

One more question, please.

Beside 2 phone RJ-11 ports, Nokia ONT has 1 RJ-45 port marked as LAN10G and 4 RJ-45 ports marked as LAN 1-4. When I connect to LAN10G port, I get internet, but I don't get it if I connect to any of LAN 1-4 ports. This is probably an indication that ONT is in bridge mode. However, I would like to log in and double check, and for this I'm using credentials that I found in the large (130+ pages) "7368 Intelligent Services Access Manager ONT" - "7368 ISAM ONT XS-240W-A XS-250WX-A Product Guide" - chapter 8 - which says that 192.168.1.254 should be used with default login user name - AdminGPON and default password ALC#FGU. Unfortunately, using this IP address didn't work, so I wasn't able to even try the user name/password. 

Do you have any other information on how to log into this ONT? There is no information on any of it's stickers.

Thanks a lot.

@ndjur Wrote: However, I would like to log in and double check, and for this I'm using credentials that I found in the large (130+ pages) "7368 Intelligent Services Access Manager ONT" - "7368 ISAM ONT XS-240W-A XS-250WX-A Product Guide" 

This is where the tricks begin. A couple of things to try here... First plug a laptop/computer into the 10Gbps port on the Nokia XS-250X-A and start it up. if the Nokia XS-250X-A is indeed in bridged mode you will receive a Telus WAN IP address as the IP of your computer. Be very carful doing this as the only firewall enabled will be what you have configured on that computer.

You should be able to navigate to the Nokia XS-250X-A via the address you previously tried. Sometime the admin user name is printed on a little label on the device, I would look for that and try it instead of the one generically found in the pdf document. Some of the time you can only get to the GUI interface after a reset.

As a last resort you may want to factory reset your Nokia XS-250X-A and then plug into one of the 1Gbps LAN ports 1-4 and you again should be able to log into that device.

Remember that if you do factory reset the device you will have to configure it into bridged mode again on the 10Gbps LAN port to get back where you are currently configured. again only factory reset if you are comfortable with reconfiguring the Nokia XS-250WX-A into bridged mode.

Personally, I'd just do the following as you are probably correct in the assumption that the Nokia XS-250X-A is indeed in bridged mode.

Unhook the NH20A as a test and hook up your ASUS AC1750's WAN port to the Nokia XS-250X-A  10Gbps LAN port and see if everything's working.

Then the only device you have to worry about configuring would be the ASUS AC1750... Cheers

ndjur
Friendly Neighbour

I'm a bit reluctant to do ONT factory reset, so I'll just go ahead and connect the ASUS router to see what happens - can't hurt.

Thanks a lot for your help, I'll let you know who it goes.

ndjur
Friendly Neighbour

Just to give an update on this issue.

I finally found time to try this as I was expecting some time consuming problems, but everything worked just fine. I simply disconnected the NH20T Hub and connected my Asus router and everything runs just fine, without any further changes. Ookla speediest shows download speed of 200 Mbps when connected via wi-fi. I haven't tried the ethernet connection yet.