cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP on TELUS fibre hub

Procomms
Friendly Neighbour

I have a new fibre service installed in June and I can`t find any reference to setting a static IP in the hub. Setting up port forwarding was no issue, but my laptop changes IP everytime it reboots. Any hintsÉ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I don't have that router so I can't verify but there should be an admin screen for managing DHCP reservations/static assignments. Ensure your laptop is set to use the hardware MAC as @NFtoBC already mentioned before making the reservation setting otherwise you'll be trying to hit a moving target.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Static IP is only available on business accounts.

If your laptop is being assigned a different IP by your router, that’s is a different issue. Some devices are requesting fresh IP from DHCP servers as a privacy protection. I know Apple has started this with some of there devices.

You should be able to assign IP by MAC address it the router, or check your laptop to see if there is a setting where it chooses to renew the IP lease, rather than request a fresh one.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Procomms
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks for the explanation. I was more curious than anything else, since previous routers had static IP procedures built in. It`s really more of a nuisance than anything else. It only takes a moment to go into the settings and change the port forwarding info.

I appreciate your quick response.

I don't have that router so I can't verify but there should be an admin screen for managing DHCP reservations/static assignments. Ensure your laptop is set to use the hardware MAC as @NFtoBC already mentioned before making the reservation setting otherwise you'll be trying to hit a moving target.

Procomms
Friendly Neighbour

Is this where I should be to assign a static IP?

Network > LAN > LAN DHCP   This section helps to assign a fixed IP address to a local network device.

Yes, sounds right.

Procomms
Friendly Neighbour

Good. I guess time will tell.