cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some traffic seems slower than others

Kyl
Helpful Neighbour
I noticed during my trial of purefiber that some services I use appear to be slower than when I use those same services on another internet connection.
Does telus throttle or change the speed of some protocols on the pure fiber network?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Kyl
Helpful Neighbour
Thanks for your reply, I am not sure what was slowing things down, I may have jumped the gun reporting a speed problem. It seems to have cleared up after 24h.
I think it was the specific servers I had connected to while testing the VPN and other protocol speeds.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

dru
Community Manager
Community Manager

The good news is we don't throttle bandwidth. The bad news is I'm not sure why you're experiencing this. It's a bit out of my wheelhouse so I'm hoping the community can provide some insights. 

Kyl
Helpful Neighbour
Hey dru, Thanks for providing that policy. Good to know that there is no intentional throttling.
(Although if you search throttling on this community there seems to be a lot of (older) concerns about this.)

Kyl
Helpful Neighbour
Hi dru, I wanted to follow up incase someone else comes across this post, I'm not sure how to define throttling here, but this excerpt from the service agreement seems so suggest the service will throttled.

Do you have any information about how this service limitation will 'kick in', it seems incredibly vague. Fairness is not clearly defined from what I can read.

"Service Limitations
11. The Services offer a variety of access speeds and service plans. All services are subject to the availability of suitable equipment and
facilities and consequently all services are not available at all locations. Also, to ensure fair network access to all users, TELUS may manage
network resources using methods including, but not limited to:
• allocation of bandwidth, which may limit the availability or speed of service;
• filtering for spam and malicious content, which may occasionally result in unintended blocking of inoffensive content; and
• restricting the network access available to specific transmission protocols.
For a description of TELUS’ network management practices please see telus.com/networkmanagement."

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you read the text on the page that you were referred to (telus.com/networkmanagement) it says:

Canadians are relying on the Internet for more and more of their communications and entertainment needs. At TELUS, we are continually investing in our networks and are working hard to keep pace with demand and alleviating congestion from all affected communities.

We are pleased to share that TELUS does not manage or slow down the internet speeds (bandwidth) to any of our customers or communities. We know a reliable Internet experience matters to you, and we’re on a continuous journey to provide you with the best service possible.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Kyl
Helpful Neighbour
Right, but agreement I signed says they will limit several things, including speed if they deem me to violate that vague agreement. All of section 11 seems to be covering any scenario that the provider wants to limit speed for any arbitrary reason.
I am happy to report I am getting expected speeds now.

MrSL
Leader

Hi @Kyl , do you have fiber optic running directly to your property?

I switched 5 months ago to the 1gb plan because I do and the network speeds never really vary:

speedtest.jpg

A good widely used speed-test is "Ookla" which can be installed on both network and mobile for testing.

Kyl
Helpful Neighbour
Thanks for your reply, I am not sure what was slowing things down, I may have jumped the gun reporting a speed problem. It seems to have cleared up after 24h.
I think it was the specific servers I had connected to while testing the VPN and other protocol speeds.

xray
Hero

Keep in mind that the measured/experienced speed will be the slowest component of the end-to-end trip. If the server is busy then it may not be keeping up with the full capability of your Internet connection. Similarly, as an example, if your client device is on WiFi then it may be slower (at times) than both the Internet connection and the server. WiFi speeds depends on many external factors that can change over time like other connected devices on the same WiFi, noise from neighboring WiFi on the same channel, etc.