cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Philips hue Bridge wont connect

tsnow8
Just Moved In

Help!! I just moved in and very excited to set up my new Philips hue smart lights. I plugged in the bridge to my router and the 3rd light (to show connected to internet) is blinking. I tried searching the forums for answers and tried to usual suspects to resolve the issue (power on/reset the bridge and the router and nothing seems to fix it. I can see he bride in my routers panel but it wont connect to the internet. Has anyone else run into this problem before? 

I'm using the T3200M Modem/router

3 REPLIES 3

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Did you disable SmartSteering in the wifi settings on the T3200 to create separate 2.4 and 5GHz wifi networks? I have a T3200 and have disabled SmartSteering and the Hue Bridge I have connects without issue to the 2.4GHz network specifically.

From: https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/smart-device-troubleshooting

Use this method to separate your Wi-Fi into two Wi-Fi networks with names ending in 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Any devices connected to the original Wi-Fi will need to be reconnected using your existing password.

1. Using a device that is connected to your home internet, open a web browser
  2. Enter the following in the address bar at the top:
  3. Press Enter (Return) and the modem’s home screen is displayed
  4. Log in with the following information:
    a. Username: admin
    b. Password: see the Admin Password printed on your modem
    c. Note: If the original Admin Password does not work or you’ve forgotten a custom created password, you may need to factory reset your modem.
  5. Select the Wireless Setup tab
  6. In the Wireless Settings menu on the left, select SmartSteering
  7. Under SmartSteering, select Disable
  8. Click Apply
  9. After separating the Wi-Fi into two networks, connect your smart devices to the 2.4GHz band.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

tsnow8
Just Moved In

That was my first thought and created the separate networks. Logged into the 2.4 network on my computer. still able to see the bridge connected but the 3rd light is still blinking. opened the hue app and still get stuck on the screen requiring me to update the bridge (I'm thinking because it cant connect to the internet). 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Are you able to connect the Hue Bridge to ethernet temporarily?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂