cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Pi-hole possible with Telus Boost Wifi 6?

JStars
Organizer

There have not been posts that I could find since 2020 on this issue. I just want to confirm before I buy a new router that it isn't possible to get the Telus Boost Wifi 6 (the cylindrical white thing) to use another device on the LAN as a DNS server? This other device would be a Raspberry Pi running Pi-hole.

I have gone into the Boost web admin settings and I see that the DNS is listed as "192.168.1.254" which is the LAN address for the ONT. There doesn't seem to be an option to change this in the web interface.

4 REPLIES 4

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The Boost Wifi 6 is merely a wireless access point, not the router. It pulls IPs for devices directly from whatever router Telus has installed. You'd need to change DNS on the main router/ONT.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I will create a fresh Pi-hole installation and try entering its IP address into the DNS address in the ONT (also referred to as the Network Access Hub) and report back.

So I have changed the DNS entry on the ONT/NAH to the Pi-hole's IP Address: 192.168.1.150

Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 12.11.23 PM.png

Devices seem to pick up this address as their automatically assigned DNS server address. However, ads are still not being blocked network wide. However when I manually assign "192.168.1.150" as the DNS server on each device then ads are blocked. This suggests that there is a DNS leak somewhere in the ONT/NAH. Is there anywhere else in the ONT/NAH settings that I must ensure that the DNS is changed?

I have gotten Pi-Hole to work consistently now. To do so I had to do the following:

• Disable DHCP on the ONT/NAH
  • Enable DHCP on the Pi-hole (making it the LAN DCHP server)
  • Add the local address of the Pi-hole as the DNS server on the ONT/NAH in "Local Network"
  • Disable IPv6 on the ONT/NAH in "Internet Access"

Given that disabling IPv6 did the trick, I am assuming that was where the DNS leaks were coming from. I don't know what the implication of disabling IPv6 on my network is, but ad blocking seems to be working well.