Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 for business static IP

sinofool
Just Moved In

Hi Telus,

This is about the same thread already answered:

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-Home-Phone/IPv6-not-working-Vancouver-Business-PureFibre-debuggi...

I would like to check if the answer is still the same after 5 years: (all ports open IPv4) vs (IPv6), not both?

If it's still the case, I would like to sign up for the interest of having them both.

20 REPLIES 20

sinofool
Just Moved In

@Jordan_Labelle ☝️Thanks

MSH
Just Moved In

So is the answer in 2023 still the same (we either get static IPv4/unblocked ports or we get native IPv6, but not both)? I see your reply thanking Jordan but not the answer itself...hmmm...

If the answer is the same is there a petition or something we can sign to let Telus know of the interest?  Using a 6in4 tunnel is a pretty shabby workaround as I have run into a few nagging issues (one of which is Cloudflare's interference with IPv6 address blocks associated with common 6in4 tunnel providers--part of Cloudflare's mission to ruin the Internet I guess 😉

concerned
Friendly Neighbour

I agree, this is unacceptable in 2023 (arguably also in 2013 and maybe earlier).

Canonical issue: https://forum.telus.com/t5/Business/IPv6-not-working-Vancouver-Business-PureFibre-debugging-with/m-p...

TL;DR

At the moment, you have a mutually exclusive choice, due to limitations in provisioning.

1. Native IPv6 Connectivity
  2. Static IP & No inbound port blocking.

concerned
Friendly Neighbour
Actually, scratch that. On business PureFibre regardless of static (registered MACs) of dynamic addresses, there is no IPv6 handed out by the head end. Tested on three different routers. Used to work on residential service, same address, same fibre pair 😕

Anonymous
Not applicable

Business modems have static ip or dynamic ip?

I am familiar with modems in a residential homes

Business modems have no ipv6 addresses?

concerned
Friendly Neighbour
With “business”, both dynamic (default) and static (have to ask) are supported.

My current ”business” service has no IPv6 WAN addresses. My “home” service did prior to switching. Same router, same physical fibre pair.

Anonymous
Not applicable

In residential modems, both , ipv4 and ipv6 addrress enabled .

in residential modems , you have the option to enable ports on the T3200 modem but you do not have the option to enable ports in the New modem, network access hun (NAH) or the new wifi 6 router/hub.

You would have to have a separate  router or switch to enable the port numbers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can see ipv6 wan address in residential  and business modem?

concerned
Friendly Neighbour
Only on/in residential. Sample size of one though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

but cannot see ipv6 wan address in business modem?

Is there a setting to enable the wan ipv6 address  for the business modem?

Please give me a kudo , if i am able to resolve your problem.

concerned
Friendly Neighbour
It’s already enabled, but no IPv6.

Do you work for Telus?

Anonymous
Not applicable

No im not a telus employee , a regular residential customer.

can you show me a screen shot of the ipv6 address not showing ipv6 wan address?

concerned
Friendly Neighbour

This is what it looks like on a T3200M business (unmanaged?) PureFiber connection.

modemstatus_home.html:
IPv6 Prefix of Delegated: N/A
IPv6 WAN Status: Connecting
IPv6 WAN Address: N/A
IPv6 WAN Link Local Address: fe80::9e1e:95ff:fe8f:2a41
IPv6 LAN Link Local Address: fe80::9e1e:95ff:fe8f:2a40
IPv6 Unique Local Address: N/A

So while residential services get IPv6, for some strange reason, business services, delivered over the same infrastructure do not. IMO, the fact that Telus doesn't provide IPv6 connectivity on all of its services in unacceptable, especially given it's 2023.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried looking at the admin settings page of the T3200M business modem to see if can have any access to enable  wan IPv6 settings or  IPV6 configurations first.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am getting WAN IPV6 enabled settings for my residential modem with no issues.

IPv6 Prefix of Delegated:                    
IPv6 WAN Status: 
IPv6 WAN Address: N/A
IPv6 WAN Link Local Address:
IPv6 LAN Link Local Address: 
IPv6 Unique Local Address: 

Have you tried looking at the admin settings to see if can have any access to enable  wan IPv6 settings or  IPV6 configurations first.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you still got internet connection from your T3200M business modem to your worksations?

concerned
Friendly Neighbour

I escalated this as far as I could in Telus and they confirmed that:

(a) IPv6 is **not** available on unmanaged business PureFibre

(b) static IPs (registered MACs) are **not** available on residential PureFiber

Therefore, if you need both (like me), you are screwed. Not great Telus. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you requested  dynamic for IPV6 business pure fibre modem  and dynamic IPs (registered MACs) on residential pure fibre  instead of using IPV6 on unmanaged business pure fibre  business modem and dynamic IPS (registered MACs) on residential pure fibre for your T3200 modem.

As a suggestion, use your own router  and/or gateway devices to set your network to static ip adress for your network.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

SuperMario, business connections are different than residential. What you are familiar with for residential doesn't all work the same on the business side. IPv6 for business is an ongoing issue that you won't be able to solve. The only option is tech support and since this issue has been ongoing for so long, I doubt there will be much they can do at this time.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks formentioning about this issue or topic ,about IPV6 issue for the business side  or business connections.

I learned a lot in this discussion and for sure i will keep this in mind when i work in the it industry in the future for certain business customers, for business networks when i work at an it company in the future.