cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP address issue!

mad_academic
Friendly Neighbour

Hi!

I have a home network and a separate network in the suite (specifically, there is a switch feeding the internet to the Telus equipment for the home, and a third party router for the suite).  See this post here for how I did it: (thanks @Nighthawk!):

Link 

Issue: 

I connected my Roku stick to the internet, it worked. Put it in guest mode. It worked. Next day couldn't exit guest mode as I had lost internet connection to the suite network. I had to factory reset the stick, then couldn't connect to the suite internet. 

When I opened the Roku app on my phone I saw this message (when attached to suite network):

[REMOVED IMAGE]

It seems the issue is the suite router has an IP address Roku doesn't like. (though why it worked the first time I don't know).

How do I get my third party router in the suite to have an IP address that Roku is happy with? 

I appreciate this is probably a simple question. I tried calling Telus, thinking they should be able to see the IP address of both my Telus router and the third party router and maybe change it, but no luck. They suggested having a static IP address and sending me to their business department and charging me.  I wasn't sure the person knew enough to be honest...

Any help gratefully received!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

A public IP typically means your router is connected wrong. If you're having problems connecting to the network for the rental suite, is the ethernet cable from the switch connected to the WAN port on the TP-Link router or one of the LAN ports? It should be into the WAN port.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mad_academic
Friendly Neighbour

Hi guys sorry I don't know why the image isn't showing properly. Here is the text from the image:

"IP Address not supported

We have detected that your device is currently connect to a public IP address that is not supported. Please ensure that both your mobile phone and deivce have an IP address in one of the following ranges: 198.18.x.x - 198.19.x.x or 192.168.x.x or 172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x or 100.64.x.x - 100.127.x.x or 10.x.x.x."

mad_academic
Friendly Neighbour

OK people... I wonder if the Neighbourhood Forum is smart, and it isn't letting me show the image as it shouldn't be shared (Roku's range of acceptable IP addresses)? I've typed out the text from the image, and the post disappears also. 

Basically, the message from Roku says they have detected that my device is currently connected to a public IP address that is not supported. It then gives ranges of IP address that are acceptable. So my question is... how does one change the IP address of my guest suite router (which currently has an IP address outside that range) to one that is in that range? 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

A public IP typically means your router is connected wrong. If you're having problems connecting to the network for the rental suite, is the ethernet cable from the switch connected to the WAN port on the TP-Link router or one of the LAN ports? It should be into the WAN port.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Hi @Nighthawk!

Wow it looks like you have saved the day (again!).

When I set the new router for the suite up originally, I googled WAN -v- LAN... and thought yep put the cable from the switch in the suite router's WAN. But my iphone showed no internet connection via WAN. I tried LAN... and it worked. 

Following your reply above... I tried again... same problem. This time, I went onto my laptop as well... and it brought up the tp-link router config page in the browser... so I ran their router setup the suite router. After doing that the suite wifi/internet now works when the cable is connected from the switch into suite router's WAN. Horray! 

I just tried to connect the Roku, which is now happily connected. That whole guest mode thing I assume is fixed (I've left it in guest mode and am optimistic tomorrow it will still work as opposed to "brick out"!)

Phew!

I hope I've cracked it now!

Again thanks! I really can't say how grateful I am.