cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get high speed internet to my community at Adams Lake BC???

Adams_Lake_User
Just Moved In

I have just moved to Adams Lake, BC and am using explornet as my internet service, while it works,

it sure would be nice to have a faster connection considering the cost of the service.

What does it take to get high speed internet into a community, how does telus decide if its a viable service??

What can I do to help myself and the community here,  get faster cost effective internet service???

It is my understanding from local conversation the local Interfor Sawmill has a private high speed line that runs 400m away from my house.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

There area variety of ways you might move this forward for your community:

Have as many as possible complete this form.

Work with the Adams Lake Band to bring Fibre to the area

Discuss the possibility with Interfor of expanding the service they have built

Create a local Wireless ISP, and buy centralized connectivity fro Telus

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

There area variety of ways you might move this forward for your community:

Have as many as possible complete this form.

Work with the Adams Lake Band to bring Fibre to the area

Discuss the possibility with Interfor of expanding the service they have built

Create a local Wireless ISP, and buy centralized connectivity fro Telus

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

jrueger
Ambassador

Have a look at this link - https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/governments/connectivity-in-bc - the BC Govt just announced an additional $50M for rural connectivity.  If you search the information through this link you can probably find a nearby ISP who would be interested in Adams Lake if Telus is not ...

The mill probly paid to have fibre placed to the mill, it's not something that's going to do much for residential customers.
There will be a "remote switch" in your vicinity, that's where the equipment will be that provides you with your internet service, that equipment will be fed by fibre and you need to be within a km of the remote to get the faster speeds, the closer you are the better and that depends on how many ports are available at the remote.
What speed is Telus giving you now?
No cablevision in the area?

Fisherguy
Ambassador

It comes down to dollars and cents, they're not going to put fibre and the necessary equipment to provide better service if they don't make enough to justify it.

The form talked about above is the usual company schpiel they'll give you, it's basically a waste of time.