cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop does not work with Fiber network

AdrainD
Just Moved In

Hello,

I have recently upgraded my network from 300 to Fiber network. All mobile devices work well on Fiber environment with high speed, but two of my desktops work even worse. I have tested the speed on my desktops. they are all around 45 Mbps, which I don't think is correct. I have also bought new wireless USB adaptor with better speed and technology. But this didn't work either. I am wondering what caused this and a possible solution. Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3

xray
Hero

You haven't said how the desktops are connect to the router, WiFi or Ethernet.

AdrainD
Just Moved In

Thanks for your response. My desktop connects to a wireless USB adapter, then to the router. The internet speed is way low for my desktop (40 Mbps), while my laptop, iPad, and cellphone do not have problems (600 to 800 Mbps). That is why I figured maybe the wireless USB adapter does not compatible with the Fibre router; then I changed with a better wireless adapter, but the problem is still there. I can't figure our more. Thanks for help again.  

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The phones, laptop and iPad all likely have much faster wifi built in. Wireless USB adapters are typically weaker than if you had a built in or PCIe wifi card. What do you call a better adapter? 40mbps sounds like an old 802.11n adapter.

1. What is the make and model of the USB adapter?
  2. How far away is the Telus wireless router?
  3. Which Telus router do you have?
  4. Is the router on the same floor of the house as the PCs?
  5. Do you know how to tell what speed your wifi is connected to on your computers? It can be found in several locations.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂