cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking for closed/open ports?

davis_js
Just Moved In

This is my first post.  Hello all, I am having some issues running a particular protocol with m VPN service.  They have asked me the following:

"kindly contact your ISP to check if port 31337 UDP is closed and request to have it open."

Is this something I can check/change myself in my router settings, or is it something only Telus can do?  Will they do it?

Thanks in advance for any/all answers you can provide.

4 REPLIES 4

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus doesn't block that port. There are a very small number they do block on home connections but they are for pretty specific uses. (See list) What service are you trying to enable that utilizes that port and which router are you using from Telus?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

It's with Cyberghost VPN, and it's a new protocol they have called Wireguard, which they say is better than the current IKEV2 protocol.  My router is the T3200M.  Thanks for your response.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If connecting out to one of their servers, you shouldn't need to do any port forwarding or manually open any ports. It should just work. Outgoing connections typically don't have ports blocked. What happens if you use Cyberghost's default settings, and not use Wireguard? Does it connect?

I use one of their larger competitors, which also supports the WireGuard protocol, and I also have the T3200M. I can connect out no problem without needing to have manually configured anything on the T3200M.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

xray
Hero

I've been using 2 different VPNs to work from home for many years. I've never had to configure my router for either one. You haven't given any details about your testing procedure and observations so I'm not going to venture a guess as to what you may need to change.