cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Router - Instant Guard Complaining no public IPV4 + PF Issues

Kief
Organizer

Hey folks,

I recently got a 1.5GBPS upgrade to my home and the TELUS team took away the 3200M and replaced it with the cylinder white ones that everyone has now. The problem is that before, the 3200M gave me a lot of control over my network and the new one - basically very little control. 

I have an ASUS router and here are the issues:

Port forwarding doesn't forward anything, nothing connects (checked with a port opener).

Instant Guard complains that I dont have a public IP address and that I need to contact my ISP for help.

Every time I try the 'bridged mode' button, I get internet dropout, and really bad speeds. (Basically 30s on - 30s off repeating)

Here are a couple things I've tried:

Resetting modem and routers

Asking the tech team that came to upgrade for help (they did nothing)

Here is some information:

Router: ZenWifi AX XT 8

LAN (on router): 192.168.50.1 (this doesn't seem right - not sure)

WAN: 192.168.1.66

Firmware: 3.0.0.4.388_24621

I use IPV6 passthrough to TELUS.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The tech that came to install things won't help you with your own router. They are there to support the Telus supported hardware and that's it. The NH20A is the actual router. The white cylinder you have is merely a Wifi 6 access point and not a router since the NH20A has no wifi capabilities on board.

Another thing to note is that the Wifi 6 AP has only one 2.5Gbps ethernet port. The others are gigabit only. If the NH20A and the Wifi 6 AP are connected using coax, the 2.5Gbps LAN port would be open. If not and you have an ethernet cable between the NH20A 10G LAN port and the 2.5gbps on the Wifi 6 AP, the connection to your Asus router from there is only going to only be gigabit. You'd have to connect your router to the 10G LAN port on the NH20A if you want the possible full 1.5gbps connection to reach it.

Your Asus router does not have an external IP address. It has a LAN address from the NH20A hence the 192.168.1.66 IP address. As you have it configured now, you would need to do the port forwarding on both your router and the NH20A. It may not work. You could try bridging the NH20A but you'd need to connect your router directly to it and not the Wifi 6 AP. The Wifi 6 AP would also need to be moved to a different LAN port that isn't bridged since it isn't a router, unless it's on coax. If it isn't moved, the Wifi 6 AP has no firewall, you'll open your network to the internet, and you'll also run out of assinged IP address which would result in you not being able to get online.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Kief
Organizer

Its currently NH20A -> Telus Router -> Asus

Kief
Organizer

Kief_0-1720326834303.png

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The tech that came to install things won't help you with your own router. They are there to support the Telus supported hardware and that's it. The NH20A is the actual router. The white cylinder you have is merely a Wifi 6 access point and not a router since the NH20A has no wifi capabilities on board.

Another thing to note is that the Wifi 6 AP has only one 2.5Gbps ethernet port. The others are gigabit only. If the NH20A and the Wifi 6 AP are connected using coax, the 2.5Gbps LAN port would be open. If not and you have an ethernet cable between the NH20A 10G LAN port and the 2.5gbps on the Wifi 6 AP, the connection to your Asus router from there is only going to only be gigabit. You'd have to connect your router to the 10G LAN port on the NH20A if you want the possible full 1.5gbps connection to reach it.

Your Asus router does not have an external IP address. It has a LAN address from the NH20A hence the 192.168.1.66 IP address. As you have it configured now, you would need to do the port forwarding on both your router and the NH20A. It may not work. You could try bridging the NH20A but you'd need to connect your router directly to it and not the Wifi 6 AP. The Wifi 6 AP would also need to be moved to a different LAN port that isn't bridged since it isn't a router, unless it's on coax. If it isn't moved, the Wifi 6 AP has no firewall, you'll open your network to the internet, and you'll also run out of assinged IP address which would result in you not being able to get online.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thanks for the reply. I've done what you have suggested and directly linked my ASUS to the 10G from modem. The speeds seem to be struggling as to before where ASUS was client of telus router. additionally, ipv6 addresses are not being assigned.