cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1.5gb plan

Dohcstar
Just Moved In
Just renewed a 2 year contract and updated to 1.5. Just had a call with the telus support line - looking to get upgraded to wifi6 hardware from my old aracadyn unit.
I was told that I have to pay $150 for installation - objected to that and then sent me technical to get it waived. They proceeded to tell me I didn’t need an upgrade and that 1.5 is a waste of money - to call back and ask to be out on 1.0.
I work 20+ devices running on my network which I run a google mesh on.
Did I talk to a bad rep? Should I be phoning back and insisting on the updated hardware?
Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DrPacman
Rockstar

@Dohcstar Wrote: Just renewed a 2 year contract and updated to 1.5. Just had a call with the telus support line - looking to get upgraded to wifi6 hardware from my old aracadyn unit.

Let me see if I can take each of your points and address them individually. It's unfortunate that you have already proceeded with the renewal, and upgrade prior to negotiating all you would like to get from Telus. However, not all is lost here especially if you did your renewal within the last 30 days. Remember you have 30 days to change your contract.

Step one I would take is contact Telus and have the first agent you contact to pass you on to Loyalty/Retention department. These are the folks that have at least some power to negotiate at least some deals on behalf of Telus. I have found that they are very reasonable to work with. So that is a bonus.

Explain that you have just gone through the upgrade process within the last 30 days and want to have your old T3200M upgraded to a newer NH20A without additional cost to you for the hardware upgrade.

I'm sure that you'll accomplish this. Loyalty can wave the fees, however, they may end up sending you to the technical team, or even the PureFibre team to arrange the actual deployment, and installation of the new router.

Now the Wi-Fi 6 upgrade maybe a little tricker to have fees waived. Telus is now deploying a new service that they refer to as "Wi-Fi plus" which is described as, and I quote from the Telus website.

"If you crave Wi-Fi everywhere in your home, get the most reliable coverage with Wi-Fi Plus. You’ll also get network security, premium support and exclusive access to our experts."

This is as indicated a premium service that costs $10.00 a month. You'll find the info on this service at the following link: https://www.telus.com/en/internet/home-internet-add-wifi-plus?INTCMP=tcom_internetwifi_button_learnm...

Addressing the comments made by the Telus representative, the service is not a waist of money, however, it does have a specific group of users that are able to utilize the capacity to the fullest extent.

If you have all your hardwired computer in your network containing 1Gbps network cards, then the maximum speed you will realize will be just that, 1Gbps.

To fully realize and benefit from the speed increase you'll have to be utilizing at least some 10Gbps networking and infrastructure. (10Gbps, 5Gbps, 2.5Gbps networking all fall within this category)

Remember, that your Wi-Fi speeds are almost never going to exceed the capacity of a 1Gbps internet connection. people often confuse the fact that having a fast wired connection  does not necessarily convert to the same sorts of speeds on your Wi-Fi connection's.

I'm almost positive that most of your Wi-Fi devices don't support pure Wi-Fi 6 natively. 

I hope this helps, at least a little... Cheers

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

DrPacman
Rockstar

@Dohcstar Wrote: Just renewed a 2 year contract and updated to 1.5. Just had a call with the telus support line - looking to get upgraded to wifi6 hardware from my old aracadyn unit.

Let me see if I can take each of your points and address them individually. It's unfortunate that you have already proceeded with the renewal, and upgrade prior to negotiating all you would like to get from Telus. However, not all is lost here especially if you did your renewal within the last 30 days. Remember you have 30 days to change your contract.

Step one I would take is contact Telus and have the first agent you contact to pass you on to Loyalty/Retention department. These are the folks that have at least some power to negotiate at least some deals on behalf of Telus. I have found that they are very reasonable to work with. So that is a bonus.

Explain that you have just gone through the upgrade process within the last 30 days and want to have your old T3200M upgraded to a newer NH20A without additional cost to you for the hardware upgrade.

I'm sure that you'll accomplish this. Loyalty can wave the fees, however, they may end up sending you to the technical team, or even the PureFibre team to arrange the actual deployment, and installation of the new router.

Now the Wi-Fi 6 upgrade maybe a little tricker to have fees waived. Telus is now deploying a new service that they refer to as "Wi-Fi plus" which is described as, and I quote from the Telus website.

"If you crave Wi-Fi everywhere in your home, get the most reliable coverage with Wi-Fi Plus. You’ll also get network security, premium support and exclusive access to our experts."

This is as indicated a premium service that costs $10.00 a month. You'll find the info on this service at the following link: https://www.telus.com/en/internet/home-internet-add-wifi-plus?INTCMP=tcom_internetwifi_button_learnm...

Addressing the comments made by the Telus representative, the service is not a waist of money, however, it does have a specific group of users that are able to utilize the capacity to the fullest extent.

If you have all your hardwired computer in your network containing 1Gbps network cards, then the maximum speed you will realize will be just that, 1Gbps.

To fully realize and benefit from the speed increase you'll have to be utilizing at least some 10Gbps networking and infrastructure. (10Gbps, 5Gbps, 2.5Gbps networking all fall within this category)

Remember, that your Wi-Fi speeds are almost never going to exceed the capacity of a 1Gbps internet connection. people often confuse the fact that having a fast wired connection  does not necessarily convert to the same sorts of speeds on your Wi-Fi connection's.

I'm almost positive that most of your Wi-Fi devices don't support pure Wi-Fi 6 natively. 

I hope this helps, at least a little... Cheers

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

rc
Rockstar

Since you run Google mesh upgrading only the TELUS router to WiFi 6 will will not change anything for the mesh clients.

Upgrading from 1 to 1.5Gbps most likely a waste of money, especially if all the users are on WiFi.  20 users all watching HD programs on Netflix will not fill up a 1Gbps link.

You did not get a bad rep, actually you got an honest rep.

Dohcstar
Just Moved In
Thanks for the advice and information here. Very much appreciated!!!