cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to control My TelusTV-T21Android box with my Samsung SmartTV remote

Timjohn7
Friendly Neighbour

I have recently purchased my first so-called SmartTv and have cut cable TV out of the picture except for the Telus Optik box. It's a Samsung S95C model. Beautiful TV. I am very happy with everything except the Smart part. It doesn't seem so smart(could be user interface). I recently added the Telus Optik TV box, and I can't get my Samsung remote to change channels on the Optik box. It works for the volume, up/down/mute but I went through all 5 or 6 tries to pair it with the Optik box but was unsuccessful. The model of the Optik Android box isn't listed when going through the setting up the Samsung remote to control the cable box. So I gave up tying to pair it and I will have to use two remotes. I only have a small TV package of maybe 35 channels just too get CTV and CBC and Global so I won't be watching the Optik box very often but if there is a solution that I'm unaware of to enable some Smartness I'm all ears.

3 REPLIES 3

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

You may wish to look at this thread:

Solved: Programming Google Remote To Old Sharp TV - TELUS Neighbourhood

You can find a list of codes for various manufacturers here:

Slimline_Remote_2_Extended_Code_List.pdf (telus.com)

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

Timjohn7
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks for responding. It is really the lack of compatibility between the Telus Box. It is stamped TelusTV-T21 as its model number, and my brand new late 2023 Samsung SmartTV cannot find the model of Telus box and cannot be paired when going through setting up the UNIVERSAL REMOTE option in settings on my Samsung  TV. It's not listed and searching for the model number does not find i yet the telus box knows it's a Samsung. The only thing I'm unable to do is change channels on the Telus box with the Samsung remote. So obviously using voice to change channels using built-in Alexa also doesn't work leaving me to use the guide to change channels or switch to Telus remote if I want to use the channel up/down button. you may call the Telus remote "Slim" but the simplicity and tiny size of the Samsung remote is preferable.

I have updated the firmware of the telus remote and have made sure all updates have been done on my TV as well. I'd like to be able to use my built in Alexa to control the telus box functions like turn on/off the TV, change volume(this I can do with voice) and change the channels(unable to do this with voice on Telus box).

Sorry if I've repeated myself.

Timjohn7
Friendly Neighbour

Update, Actually using Alexa DOES work to shut off both the TV and the Telus box (takes a couple seconds - I wasn't waiting long enough), so it's only when needing to switch the channel I have to use the Telus remote. The Telus remote seems to control all the functions of my Samsung so that's good but I'm missing the Voice control.

Yes, perhaps I'm being lazy 🙂 But I like to be able to just talk to my TV and tell it to shut down as I'm in my kitchen taking my vitamins.