cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus Digital Box Not Working With Denon 3800h Receiver

tholley
Helpful Neighbour
Hi,

I’m trying to get the new Telus digital box to work with my new home theatre installation without success (Denon AVRX 3800H and LG C3 OLED). I’ve already had two different Telus tech’s try to make it work without success. They suggested bypassing the receiver but that defeats the whole purpose of my sound system. I’ve also contacted Denon, and still it doesn’t work. I’ve tried different cables and various video setting on the receiver. I have an older receiver with one of these new boxes on another LG TV (AVRX 1600H nd LG CX OLED) and it works properly but not my new receiver/TV. We’ve swapped out the cable boxes and the problem persists, so it’s not a defective optik box. Apparently there can be “handshake” issues between a cable box and receiver so perhaps that is what it is. In any case, I would very much appreciate hearing any advice on how to resolve this issue.
6 REPLIES 6

pbsfan
Organizer

I don't know which Telus Box you have, but if it's relatively recent, it could be like mine from about 4 years ago.  I also don't know if your Denon receiver is rated as capable of passing a 4K signal.  With my Telus 4K box, I can go into the settings and change the resolution from 1920 x 1080 to 1080i or 720P, which I need to do sometimes to get a picture on older equipment.  I'm thinking if you tried switching to 720p and the picture appears, then you will know if it could be an issue with what the Denon receiver is capable of.  However, it could also indicate that your HDMI cable isn't able to pass a protected signal?  Perhaps that protection takes effect at 4K resolution?  This is off the top of my head, but I wanted to put forth some ideas for you, since it seems your post has been here for a day without any response.  Someone else I suspect will eventually come along with better information.  If you have the very latest Telus equipment that saves recordings on the cloud, then I have no knowledge of that box.  This is just what immediately comes to mind without doing research.  Anyone is free to correct me.

tholley
Helpful Neighbour
thanks for the input. My Telus box is the latest model that saves to the cloud. My receiver is brand new and high end as well as the hdmi cable which supports 8k. I want to view in 4k since it’s a large tv and needs high resolution.

Sounds like it should definitely work, then. That has to be very frustrating. Someone has just posted about similar trouble with their Yamaha receiver. It was suggested that they make a change in the settings on the Yamaha. I don’t know if your Denon has similar settings for finessing the input.  Good luck. I hope you find a solution after all the expense to have the best. 

Makala
Just Moved In

I am having same problem….very frustrating…….telus please help. 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I had problems with an older sound system, and ended up connecting the fibre optical out from the TV to the sound system, bypassing HDMI altogether. HDMI from the set top box to the TV; optical tho the sound system.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Makala
Just Moved In

Hi, I figured it out…..change settings on denon amp to 4K 8k enhanced to standard 4K 8k also change your settings on Telus box settings for cc….