cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote not powering tv off

gianadawn
Friendly Neighbour
I just received the new TelusTv-21T with the Google remote. Everything on my TV works volume, mute, power on, etc. but it won’t power my TV off. Any suggestions?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

gianadawn
Friendly Neighbour
Thank you that did it. Lucky #138 for the win. Thanks again

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Try going into the system settings on the TV box and enable HDMI CEC. The box is able to turn my TV on or off without the remote even pointed at it with HDMI CEC enabled.

Settings > Device Settings > Device Preferences > HDMI

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

gianadawn
Friendly Neighbour
Unfortunately all that allows my Telus remote to do is turn the actual wifi box on and off. But it doesn’t turn the tv off. Or on actually. So I have to use my original TV remote to turn the TV on or off. Kind of frustrating.

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

You could try unpairing it from the TV and make sure that the TV has HDMI CEC off, and that you have clear line of sight from remote to TV.

Here are some steps if you'd like to try this method:

If you would no longer like your TELUS Remote to control your TV’s volume and power, you can unpair your remote.

• Press and hold the Input and Back buttons for 3 seconds until the LED on your TELUS remote lights up solid green
  • Press OK and wait for the LED to flash green twice (the remote has now been unpaired from your TV)

The TELUS Remote will now control only the TELUS TV Digital Box, and not your TV’s volume and power.

At any point, you can choose to control your TV using your TELUS Remote again. From the Home screen, navigate to Settings → Device settings → Remotes & Accessories → Program Remote with TV and follow the steps on screen.

gianadawn
Friendly Neighbour
I tried this a couple times but it did not help unfortunately

Rocky3
Rockstar

I ran into similar issue with another vendor. There is/was more than one TV in a brand that has different on/off. setup was also different than here.

Did the setup recognise your TV brand and give you an option to ignore first choice and try another. I cannot test that since it found my TV and all works.

gianadawn
Friendly Neighbour
Yes, give me a few different options, but none of them seem to work. If you’re talking about when it gives you the option and it tells you to try the mute and volume buttons. There was only the one that seemed to work and it won’t shut the TV off.

No, I was wondering if it asked you if setup worked and offer a second chance to setup. Again since mine worked first time I cannot check if it offers an alternate menu if suggested one does not work.

gianadawn
Friendly Neighbour
Yes it did. it asked if it worked and then it offered another code and that one didn’t work and it went through a few different ones until finally it said that it couldn’t be connected or matched or whatever it said

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @gianadawn 

What brand of TV do you have? I can provide instructions on manual pairing and codes if you can share the TV brand.

gianadawn
Friendly Neighbour

Awesome thank you so much. It is an RCA Smart TV Virtuoso. But not a Roku. 

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

1. Press and hold both the input and OK buttons on your remote for 3 seconds. The green LED should stay on.

2.  Enter the first code using the number pad. The green LED will blink twice and then go off. 

3. Test the mute or volume up/down button. If these work, you're done.

4. If they don't work, repeat steps 1-3 for subsequent codes.

gianadawn
Friendly Neighbour
Thank you that did it. Lucky #138 for the win. Thanks again

gianadawn
Friendly Neighbour
Actually it was 139 oops

Selman
Just Moved In

Is there a full list of codes for other tvs?

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

There is, but it's extensive. Looking for a particular brand?

Selman
Just Moved In

I'm trying to get my panasonic tvs to be programmed properly so it would turn on and off with the new remote. TIA

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @Selman - you can try 158, 166, 168, 250, 340, 169, 063 or 216 for Panasonic TVs.