cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optik TV - Recordings

Annie3
Friendly Neighbour

I just switched from Shaw to Telus 2 days ago and wanted to record some of my programs when a message came up that said I have to pay extra to record?? This definitely came as a surprise to me. I didn't have to pay extra to record programs with Shaw.  When I signed up with Telus, at no time did the agent tell me I had to pay extra to record my programs. I even asked what comes with Optik tv and what doesn't and he never mentioned anything about having to pay to record. I don't think Telus was upfront with me by not addressing the issue of paying extra to record, especially when I specifically asked what comes with Optik tv. Being silent on this issue does not make it okay not to tell the customers. For this reason, and since I've only been with Telus a few days, I'm considering changing back to Shaw where I don't have to pay extra to record programs. 

6 REPLIES 6

RobG3987
Ambassador
If PVR recording ability is something that is important to you ( as it is for me) then I seriously urge you to test EVERYTHING and read through the forums to see the number of posts and issues being reported constantly with the new OPTIK TV platform.
It is seriously flawed. Seriously dysfunctional for all of the functions, abilities, and ease of use that you were accustomed to and took for granted with Shaw. I know, as I was a former Shaw customer of over 18 years and recently (3 months) switched to OTV.
I am considering paying $400 to get out of this contract to go back, because I know Shaw's works, not perfectly, but after using this,,, it's way **bleep** better.
You have somewhere around 14 or 30 days ( you'd have to check your contract details to be sure) to get out of your deal without penalty.
My advise is to excersise that right after testing and reading about the issues, before your locked in.
This system is a Beta version at best and doesn't look like it should have been released for customers to use with all the problems and lack of support.
My advise, get out while you can.

Annie3
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks for the feedback RobG3987. I found Shaw to be more user friendly and more intuitive. I'll do a bit more reading on some of the issues. I noticed someone else mentioned the issue of having to pay extra to record programs.

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello. Would this be for a channel you're not currently subscribed to? There's no additional charge to record something. What channel are you seeing this on?

Annie3
Friendly Neighbour

Hi A-B,

This is for a channel I'm subscribed to. SteveinVictoria also posted about this issue and he had to pay extra to record. Apparently if you have the most expensive option with Telus you don't have to pay to record. I didn't have the most expensive option with Shaw and didn't have to pay extra to record my programs. I think the ability to record should be standard as I'm sure most people prefer to watch their programs when it is convenient to them. I've only been with Telus for a few days so I may switch back to Shaw.

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Gotcha. For our new Optik packaging if you subscribe to just the basic 'Core' option for example, recordings indeed are an add-on. You always do have the option of reaching out to our team at 1-888-811-2323 to discuss your options!

Annie3
Friendly Neighbour

Why did the agent not tell me about this especially when I asked him a lot of questions about what is included and not included. It's not okay to not tell the customer about about what they get and don't get with their package. Omitting this relevant information  makes me question Telus' ethics. If you were entering into a contract but the seller failed to provide you with relevant information to your contract, would you question their motivation for omitting important information?  It seems that making a sale is more important. I'm sure most people like to make decisions based on ALL the information.  This only seems fair. Essentially I made my decision to change to Telus without being provided with ALL the information. I don't like finding out after the fact that there are hidden costs, such as having to pay extra to record my programs with my package.  I specifically asked the agent if the price he quoted me was going to be the real price and he assured me it was. At no time did he mention there was an extra cost to record your programs. So the price I actually was quoted is not going to be the real price. Instead it is going to cost me more than what I was quoted if I decide to stay with Telus. Four days with Telus and I'm disappointed.