cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optic TV+ app error Required output protections are not active

Alberss
Friendly Neighbour

I used the previous version all the time on my Samsung tablet. Since the new updated version I cannot play any TV from the Guide. I either get this error "Required output protections are not active" or it hangs. I cannot find any explanation or workaround on your sites. I updated the app today. Is there any workaround? Can I no longer use your app from this device? It works on my phone. Anyway to get the old version back?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Optik-Kate
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi All, thank you to everyone's efforts! We implemented a performance toggle that addresses this playback error. If your device encounters this error, it will ask you to go to settings to turn on "playback performance", and after restarting the app, VOD or live should play as expected. Thanks again for everyone's help in resolving this issue. 

Please note, this toggle is intended to address specific video playback issues, if video playback already works properly on your device, then there is no need to use this toggle. However, if this toggle doesn't address the specific error you're seeing, you'll be prompted again with a specific error message and error code. Please report the full message and we will continue to work on improving this feature. 

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Can you give some more details about your 'Samsung tablet'? What device exactly, what OS? 

You cannot revert to an old version of the app - it will not work.

Harrisclh
Helpful Neighbour

I have the same issue. Samsung tablet running android 9.0

I have exactly the same problem .since optik update.. I used to be able to watch tvonmy tablet.. now error message .. required output protections are not active.. Samsung tablet galaxy Tab a.. 2016

Alberss
Friendly Neighbour
Hi,
Galaxy Tab A. Model SM-T580
I did get an email to call Technical Support Friday and did. A case was created. A screenshot of the error was obtained by Telus. It was passed on to a developer. Telus said they will get back to me in a few days. I can post an update afterwards
Thanks

Harrisclh
Helpful Neighbour

I have the exact same issue on my Samsung tablet. Just noticed it yesterday

Tab S3 SM TM-820

Alberss
Friendly Neighbour

Harrisch,

I'll let you know what Telus says when they call me back. I wrote down your model.

Sandra

Harrisclh
Helpful Neighbour
Thank you Sandra

Colin

Sent from Samsung tablet

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @Alberss @Harrisclh 

Are you attempting to cast/mirror/connect your phones/tablets to another output source or simply watch on your phones/tablets?

As mentioned in another thread, casting, including chromecast, mirroring, Airplay, etc. were not supported on the Optik TV app and continue to not be supported on the TELUS TV+ app; this includes connecting phones/tablets via HDMI. If you were using this functionality prior to the update, I would classify it under 'bank error in your favor'. These limitations are in place due to copyright restrictions from our content providers. We are looking at adding Airplay and Chromecast to the TELUS TV+ app in the future when appropriate copyright protections are available - please stay tuned for updates.

Harrisclh
Helpful Neighbour
I am simply trying to watch Telus TV directly on my Samsung Tablet

Sent from Samsung tablet

Harrisclh
Helpful Neighbour

Samsung tablet through wifi. Works on my phone

That is a game changer for me. Why would I watch my little tablet when there are other options available on the larger tv. We travel a lot and my husband loves his sports. The small screen of a phone or tablet does not work.

Further to the above comment, never have I heard of or encountered such an issue or explanation. None of my other apps turn off as soon as an external video cable is plugged in. I’m already paying for everything so why should they care if I view it on my tablet or tv?

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @Chester14 

These restrictions are in place to prevent account sharing and piracy. A lot of other streaming services (Netflix, Prime, etc.) own the content rights and can decide themselves what protections are in place to reduce piracy. I'm not sure which other apps you use, but content rights, content licensing and digital rights management (DRM) vary from app to app and content provider to content provider. In Canada, a good amount of content rights are owned by Rogers (think Sportsnet), Bell (Crave, CTV, etc.) and Corus (Global). TELUS has agreements in place with these providers in order to provide access to customers, but must abide by the content providers individual (and varied) requirements. One such requirement is appropriate DRM adherence while casting or using adapter cables. The TELUS TV+ app will not allow casting until a satisfactory solution has been developed - please stay tuned. As mentioned above, it was never meant to work on the Optik TV app, so you may have discovered a loophole defect.

Dococ
Friendly Neighbour

I think the thread has gone off topic. To clarify, the problem is not that people are trying to cast, or watch through a cable. The new app is not playing the content in the tablet itself. A constant theme is that it works on phones but not tablets. As I imagine people upgrade phones more often than tablets, it may be an OS compatibility issue. My tablet for instance has Android OS 9 and phone Android OS13. But in theory google play shouldn't let you install the app if it's not compatible, and the app description doesn't say that it needs a certain Android OS version.

Casting/airplay you usually cast same app to same app. Netflix from phone or comp, to netflix app on tv. Prime to prime, disney to disney, etc. I imagine when there is a Telus Plus app that can be installed in android tv, that's when you'll be able to cast. I assume Telus is bringing this app to Android TV to compete with the likes of stack TV, and Prime that are offering tv broad cast channels through their apps. At one point Telus will likely offer tv without the set top box.

Trying to watch tv from Telus guide on my Samsung tablet

I used to be able to watch optik on my tablet directly off of Telus menu Since update cannot. Samsung tab a ..my phone can watch optik, tablet cannot

I have put n s ticket with the technical department. They are at least calling me asking me to try different things but none of the things I try work. They called again today. Must be a problem in the app.

On Jan 27, 2023 at 18:51, TELUS Neighbourhood < [email protected]> wrote:

Hi Harrisclh,

Susanpeyton (Neighbour) posted a new reply in Optik TV on 01-27-2023 09:51 PM:

Re: Optic TV+ app error Required output protections are not active

I used to be able to watch optik on my tablet directly off of Telus menu Since update cannot. Samsung tab a ..my phone can watch optik, tablet cannot

Reply | Give Kudos

TELUS Neighbourhood sent this message to [email protected].
You are receiving this email because a new message matches your subscription to a topic.

If you do not want to receive notification for this message, unsubscribe the topic or mute the message.
To control which emails we send you please go to, manage your subscription & notification settings or unsubscribe.

Dococ
Friendly Neighbour

I have same problem in my samsung tab s3 with android OS9. I tried rebooting tablet and reinstalling the app, didn't work. Just trying to watch directly on the app, on the tablet. Works on my samsung phone. 

I'm using the same model tablet (Samsung S3) & the same OS (OS9), with the same problem.