cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio OUT from the new TelusTV-21T digital boxes

HiddenValley
Organizer

What is the recommended way to connect a sound bar to the new TelusTV-21T digital boxes? 

AND retain the supplied remote volume control power functions? 

There seem to be ZERO 3rd party AIO remotes that work with this new system, since it is a proprietary Bluetooth connection not IR. If I am wrong someone kindly point me in the right direction 😉 

Bluetooth from the TelusTV-21T does not work / not available. 

S/PDIF optical out from the TelusTV-21T does not seem to work. 

Daisy chaining an HDMI cable into / out of a sound bar is messy and you can't reliably adjust TV volume and power functions. 

Only newer TV's have ARC and eARC with sound outputs to sound bars... 

Honestly, what are others doing? 
I have one system connected through my main AVR receiver, but I still need multiple remotes after living with ONE  unified remote for years. What a step backwards and PIA. 

My other two TV's use sound bars. One works using daisy-chained HDMI, but the power / volume controls are flaky.  The other sound bar has no HDMI "input" and the S/PDIF optical out from the TelusTV-21T does not work... 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

xray
Hero
Connect the sound bar to the TV not the Optik box. If you're TV supports ARC on one of the HDMI inputs then that is the easiest. Another option is to use the digital audio out (optical) from the TV which would require you to adjust some audio settings to turn off the built in TV speakers. Consult your TV manualb if you don't know where the settings are.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

xray
Hero
Connect the sound bar to the TV not the Optik box. If you're TV supports ARC on one of the HDMI inputs then that is the easiest. Another option is to use the digital audio out (optical) from the TV which would require you to adjust some audio settings to turn off the built in TV speakers. Consult your TV manualb if you don't know where the settings are.

Thanks for the reply. Will that allow me to "control" the sound bar via the Telus box or TV? Trying to use only ONE remote. Ideally, the Soundbar is off when the TV is off, and the volume buttons on the Telus remote control the sound bar, not the built in TV speakers.  The only ARC-enabled TV I have is plugged into a receiver so that is not an issue (other than multiple remotes). My other TV's are older and use the Anynet+ HDMI protocols, and devices constantly get out of sync or don't work at all... 

xray
Hero
If you connect the sound bar to the TV via ARC or optical then the TV will control the volume on top of any volume control at the source, be it the Optik box or something else like a Chromecast. Make sure you set the volume on the Optik box to max to get the full range of volume on the TV. You don't want to set the TV on max and use the Optik volume because it will be very loud if you switch TV inputs.