cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

120hz and VIP5662W - is it possible?

jimmyz
Just Moved In

I just bought a hisense u8n, it's supposed to have 144z  refresh rate.  All i want is to be able to watch sportsnet hockey 4k @120hz.  I am only getting 3840x2160 at 60hz on my optik box (VIP5662W)  The only setting on the optik box that I can change is the aspect ratio/screen resolution setting, and it maxes out at 2160p at 60hz.  My cables are good, rated for 8k.  I'm watching on the sportsnet 4k channel, but it doesn't matter whether I'm on tsn, sportsnet or anything - 60hz is max.  There are no settings on my tv that makes any difference either and I am using the correct hdmi port (for 144hz). 

Any ideas?  Do I need to upgrade my box?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY 1

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Broadcast TV is not available in 120Hz anywhere. I'm not aware of any channels broadcasting at 60Hz either. You won't find a current set top box that will do more than 60Hz. While the box you have can physically support up to 60Hz, at 4K, the broadcaster is likely limiting the feed to 30Hz/fps at most due to the bandwidth needed and the cost of the equipment needed to encode it above 30Hz on location at the game being televised.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂