cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arris VIP5662W 4K Audio Problem

tedfroop
Helpful Neighbour

So,  after a couple weeks of viewing 4k sports broadcasts (there are plenty this time of year)  the Audio starts best I can describe it is skipping.  20 seconds of audio, 1-2 seconds of blank no sound.

This will continue and worsen with longer and longer skips until there is no sound output at all.  To correct this I reboot the box.  At present its about 10 days between reboots.

My audio path is through my  Sony KD55X85K, passthrough via ARC/EARC to my Yamaha RX-V567 AVR.  When I have the problem my AVR is not seeing an audio stream to process.  Additionally, after checking, all the 4k channels are affected by the same problem at the same time.  None will stream audio to the AVR until the box is rebooted.

It is very annoying to be in the middle of a game and have the audio start acting up because of the lengthy reboot process for the box.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If none of it works, the last suggestion would be to get a new HDMI cable or have the box replaced.

Also, when you said you have an older version of the STB, do you know what software version you had? 

Thanks Kate,  I initally tried all those suggestions as part of troubleshooting as a cable or port problem would seem the likely point of failure. 

The same for swapping resolutions - to see if the problem was related to 4k alone and always the problem persisted until the optic box {singular -we only have one) was rebooted.

I have not seen the problem for a while,  mind you I am not watching more than a few hours a week of 4k content now, so it has either been addressed or is related to a memory leak and some other process is refreshing memory often enough I'm not seeing the problem. 

I do not know what the old software version was,  I had at the time just replaced the box for PVR issues so the box, hdmi cable etc were all brand new.

Again sorry for the late reply.  I have an anxiety disorder that affects memory and totally forgot about this.....

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you temporarily disconnect the AVR and just use the TV speakers, do you have the same issue? Is there a software update for your TV also?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

tedfroop
Helpful Neighbour

- the TV is up to date for software.

- the avr is up to date for software.

- The TV is on audio pass through via ARC/EARC so it has nothing to do with the audio stream.

- When the problem occurs I can watch the audio stream drop and resume on my AVR.

- Rebooting the Telus box temporaraly solves the problem.   Once I watch about a week worth of 4k football, hockey and baseball the problem begins again.

- This problem started when I updated to the VIP5662W from an older version of the box.

- The problem does not occur with any other input.  TV, Android Apps, Roku, Squeezebox, Chromecast, everything else has zero problems with audio - even though the Roku passes through AAC, AC3, DTS, DTS-MA, E-AC3, TrueHD, Flac, MP2 and MP3.

Hi @tedfroop, I reported this issue to our team and they provided the following recommendations:

• Update the screen resolution (720/1080): It can be swapped back thereafter
  • Update the aspect ratio to standard definition: It can be swapped back thereafter
  • Reseat the HDMI cable
  • Try a different port on the TV
  • try another audio cable (HDMI or Component) if you have one
  • Reboot the STB while the TV is on
  • Sequential reboot of STB's
  • Try going to Settings - General - HDMICEC settings and select enable and see if that resolves this issue

If none of it works, the last suggestion would be to get a new HDMI cable or have the box replaced.

Also, when you said you have an older version of the STB, do you know what software version you had? 

Thanks Kate,  I initally tried all those suggestions as part of troubleshooting as a cable or port problem would seem the likely point of failure. 

The same for swapping resolutions - to see if the problem was related to 4k alone and always the problem persisted until the optic box {singular -we only have one) was rebooted.

I have not seen the problem for a while,  mind you I am not watching more than a few hours a week of 4k content now, so it has either been addressed or is related to a memory leak and some other process is refreshing memory often enough I'm not seeing the problem. 

I do not know what the old software version was,  I had at the time just replaced the box for PVR issues so the box, hdmi cable etc were all brand new.

Again sorry for the late reply.  I have an anxiety disorder that affects memory and totally forgot about this.....

Thanks for the update! Glad you are not seeing the issue anymore!